Upgrading the dashboard display (Part 1)

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Project Upgrade - Change the dashboard display above the radio to show more information.

The post below is part 1 (upgrading the display), part 2 (changing the colour) is here.

and Upgrading the dashboard display for MPG (Part 3) - is here

This is a step towards the larger project of 'enabling the trip computer (MPG) on a 2002 C3 Diesel', which there will be more to come as time permits.

This part of the project upgrades the one line alpha numeric display that looks like this:

Fitted to a Citroen C3 2002 Exclusive

to the dot matrix display like this:
citroen C3 dash display upgrade to dot matrix type
citroen C3 dash display upgrade to dot matrix type
as found on later Citroen C3 models and other Citroen cars.

The main reason for changing the display is to investigate the prospect of future upgrading to allow the screen to show MPG as found on later versions of the C3.
A useful spin off is the new display can show much more information at one time with its multiple lines of text and the facility to produce graphics. An issue with the one line text display was the area that showed the time is also used to show the outside air temperature, but only one at a time. The car had a knack of showing just the wrong information when I wanted it. I could want to know the time and it showed the temperature, I was interested in knowing the outside air temperature and it told me the time. A press of a button would toggle the display, but the new larger display can show both the time and the temperature - how's that for progress!

The triple: Time, Date and Temperature showing on the display.
Time Date and Temperature Display on the C3
Time Date and Temperature Display on the C3
Just changing the display is quite straight forward, but a 'part 2' of instructions will follow showing how to get the colour to match if your new display doesn't match the existing lighting colour scheme as has happened here.

Part 2 - Changing the colour of the display is here.

Firstly source a display, the one I found was from a Citroen C5, which probably explains why the back lighting colour was wrong (it is green, but it should be amber to match the climate control and speedo).

CLICK here to find some suitable multi-line displays that were originally on a C5.

No programming was required to enable the new display, just follow these instructions.

Firstly remove the binnacle, it pulls off as shown in this video

Changed Citroen C3 2002-2006 from M...
Changed Citroen C3 2002-2006 from Miles to Kilometres and MPH to km/h

then remove the 2 T20 torx screws with a T20 torx driver - here on Amazon

unclip the cable that is attached to the original display

dash display electrical connection
dash display electrical connection

a slight modification to the new display was required to allow the display to fit well. Snap off the two prongs from the display (or drill 2 holes in the dashboard mounting).

modify the mounting
modify the mounting
Fit the new display, it may not look straight but when the binnacle is refitted it all straightens up.
Attach the cable to the new display, fix with the two T20 torx screws and push the plastic binnacle back in place, switch on the ignition and set the date and time and language.

CD_track_time_clock_temperature_display_c3
CD_track_time_clock_temperature_display_c3
If you find a display with the right colour or you are not bothered about the colour then its job done.

Part 2 will follow shortly is here - part 2 (changing the colour) of the display, showing my solution to matching the back lighting colour more in keeping with the speedo and climate control warm amber colour.

You can often find C5 multi line displays here: on eBay that fit the C3.

Just be sure its the larger multi line and not the single line display - easily compared by looking at the pictures.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)