unable to close the O/S/R (driver side rear) door

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: RC3D

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Rhythm
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

I have been unable to close the O/S/R (driver side rear) door due to the latch not working. With my fingers I can push the latch but it is not always locking, I presume something has worn off inside. I also presume that there isn’t any way of repairing?

P1050421.JPG
P1050422.JPG

I have read Arfur Dent’stips-for-any-citroen-c3-f8/c3-rear-door ... =c3%20lock article and did ebay search I can’t seem to find a 2nd hand O/S/R lock.

I have contacted both Evans Halshaw Citroen and Robins and Day Peugeot they are quoting £91.59 +vat and £83.26+vat respectively. Seems very expensive and also I don’t understand how Evans Halshaw of Citroen could mark up the price by £8.

I have come across a company from Derby https://www.eurocarcare.net/, they told me that they are competing with big companies and often directly importing the parts from Europe and avoiding putting the price up like the big players. He is going to get me a price but he said that it could be 20% cheaper. I’ll let you know how I get on, I’m not in any way related to the company, I thought of mentioning the company as their prices seem generally cheaper.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Experienced Member

THANKS C3CAR, you are amazing, I could not find it when I searched, you have saved me a lot of dosh. Really appreciate your help. I’m going to get it now.

I have another query, as per Arfur Dent’s post “The small cover left on the exterior of the car can be popped off to reveal two steel rivets to be drilled out and one steel rivet at the end now revealed with the handle removed.”

P1050423.JPG

When I fit the handle mounting bracket in place what do I do with the three rivet holes? Do I have to drill the holes and take the existing rivet out and pop new ones in before offering it to the door? I have not come across pop rivets on a car in an awkward position. Do I need a special tool to do the job? Where can I get the pop rivets from?

just found this video

it looks like i need to get a rivet tool and some rivets from screwfix.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

Hi RC3D, I am glad the tips are being useful!
Do I have to drill the holes and take the existing rivet out and pop new ones in
Yes, drill out the old rivets. You drilled the heads off to remove the back plastic in your photo. Try poking the left over rivet with a small screwdriver to push it through to the other side.

and pop new ones in before offering it to the door?
No, offer up the black plastic part from your photo with all the bits attached to it to the correct location and then poke in the rivets from the outside of the car. They are a snug fit and hold the black plastic carrier in place while you ready your rivet gun.

I have not come across pop rivets on a car in an awkward position.
Not awkward at all, drilling them out and refitting them is all done from the outside (shiny side) of the door. Just don't slip with the drill or rivet gun as you may scratch the paint job.

Do I need a special tool to do the job?
A rivet gun, nice and cheap on ebay! (here)

I don't think you need steel rivets to replace the ones removed, the cheaper and easier ally ones do just as good a job.

Where can I get the pop rivets from?
I don't remember the size, but they were quite long, longer than most of my pop rivets. But you can't go wrong with a assortment of various sized rivets, or just measure the length and diameter of what's left in the black plastic carrier and pick the right ones from the selection.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

Thanks Arfur Dent for your advice. I've ordered the rivet gun and an assotment of pop rivets from Amazon.
My Name: keved

Top Contributor
Year: 2003 (53)
Mileage: 108000
Trim Level: Desire

I believe the rivets are Citroen part : 6970 41 Rivet 4x12

hope this helps

Guru

keved wrote:I believe the rivets are Citroen part : 6970 41 Rivet 4x12
Thanks for that. 4x12 sounds about right. The Citroen ones fitted in the factory are steel and if 6970 is the same, they will require some heavy tool to pop them in, the sort of tool you would find in the end of a robots arm somewhere in France?

Aluminum pop rivets are much more suited to the home DIY mechanic and can be popped with a cheap rivet gun.

From your investigations, I would suggest these are worth a try: 4.0 X 12Mm Pop Rivets Rivet - Standard Flange Alum/Steel as a suitable alternative.

Guru