Taking it to mainland Europe - France

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Either way you choose to cross the channel, under or over will lead you to a country that has different driving laws to the UK.

The items you need to carry in your C3 while in France is different than in the UK and this FML 6 Piece European Motoring Kit available on Amazon.co.uk (here) will add the correct items to stay within the law.

The kit above includes the legal minimum of

Euro GB Magnetic Plate, EU Approved Warning Triangle, "NF" approved Breathalyser Twin Pack, High Visibility Vest, Eurolites Headlamp Adaptors (beam converters).

European travel kit for the Citroen C3
European travel kit for the Citroen C3
[/url]

It is also sensible, not just for Europe, to have a full set of spare lamps carried in the C3.

This kit from amazon (here) is for the C3 and other cars that require an amber indicator lamp.

Spare lamp kit for EU travel in the C3
Spare lamp kit for EU travel in the C3
[/url]
H1, H7,

Please check you have everything you need to be safe and legal before you leave.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Stanleysteamer

Experienced Member
Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 50000
Trim Level: NA
Gearbox: SensoDrive
DPF: No
Engine name: TU5 16-valve (110 PS)

Two things you may not know.

1/ if you wear glasses you MUST have a spare pair in the car, by law.

2/ You need at least 2 Hiviz vests and you must be able to put them on without getting out of your car. If the police stop you and ask you to get out, PUT YOURS ON FIRST, I have heard of people being fined for not doing so.

(I live in France just under 6 months of the year, every year.)
My Name: routemaster

Model: C3 2013-2017 Facelift A51
Year: 2016 (16)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 38000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes

Stanleysteamer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:25 pm Two things you may not know.

1/ if you wear glasses you MUST have a spare pair in the car, by law.

2/ You need at least 2 Hiviz vests and you must be able to put them on without getting out of your car. If the police stop you and ask you to get out, PUT YOURS ON FIRST, I have heard of people being fined for not doing so.

(I live in France just under 6 months of the year, every year.)
Item 1 isn't entirely true, although it is sensible. It is a legal requirement in Spain, and may be in other countries as well.

Another myth is that beam deflectors are required. They are not! The legal requirement is not to dazzle. This may be achieved in several ways. Firstly, many cars like C4 Picassos have a beam shape which does not dazzle, and nothing is required. Secondly, you can set the beams to their lowest settings using the dial on the dash. If you are concerned then beam deflectors can be used, and I use them on both of our C3s.

Also, be careful if you use a dashcam. Laws can be stricter in Europe than here. This ranges from it being illegal to post to Youtube, requiring to give third party notice of the use of dashcam evidence in Belgium,. They are illegal for use in Portugal, and in Austria, not only is it illegal to use one, but it is illegal to own one. Just carrying one in your car can result in a 10,000 Euro fine!