Replacing MK2 ignition switch

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: davidj

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 55000
Trim Level: Airdream+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hello,

Thought I would share my experience of changing a MK2 C3 ignition switch, as I could find limited info on the internet about the task. On my car the ignition switch got progressively harder to turn and the electric windows, washer jets and dash intermittently failed. Eventually I could not push the ignition switch fully into the lock. I purchased a second hand switch, complete with key and steering column still attached for £40, considerable saving over the cost of a main dealer repair. However, I still need the original key to open the doors if the remote fails.

Procedure.

1. Remove the lower steering column cover. It is held on by 2 torx screws and a catch at the front. The top cover can then be hinged forward to expose the switch.
2. Disconnect the cables from the switch. They have spring clips; don't pull on the cables!
3. Remove the single use screw. The best method I found was the use a centre punch and hammer to hit and rotate the head counter clockwise and unscrew, Don't attempt to drill it out!
4. Insert the key and press the spring loaded plunger at the top of the switch and it can be withdrawn. The single use screw must be fully extracted and the key inserted to allow the plunger to fully travel. In my case, the key could not be fully pushed into the ignition, so removing the switch was very difficult!
5. Insert the new switch into the steering column and replace the single use screw with something more practical. I used the original receiver ring. Connect it up.
5. Transfer the circuit board from your old key to the new key
6. Attach the blade from the old key onto your key ring to open the petrol cap!

Easy once you know how!

David
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

davidj wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:02 pm Easy once you know how!
Thank you David for this 'Replacing MK2 ignition switch topic'! :D

I am sure it will also apply to the MK1 and even the later models of C3