Method for removing spinning locking wheel nuts

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: Neilcmusic1

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

After spending too much money and time on drill bits that werent strong enough and other bits and pieces to remove my spinning wheel nuts after losing my locking key I took it to the garage, They used a method I hadnt heard of in the past ( slight variation) and the £60 I spent was well worth it.

I watched them like a hawk whilst they did it ( they love that) annoyingly I have all the tools they used but not as much space and patience.

Ok, I had heard about 2 methods, 1 involved drilling out the centre and hammering a make shift tool in to turn the bolt, the second involved welding a nut onto the locking wheel nut and turning that.

Both failed for me, no matter how good the drill bits were for first method they werent strong enough and when I welded a bolt onto it the weld was never strong enough and bolt stapped off.

These methods do work, just not for me, and I tried, I really did, the reason I tried so hard is that i know somewhere down the line that bloody wheel nut key will turn up.

Ok, so the garage used a variation, They jacked the car up and hammered an oversized socket onto the locking nut therefore collapsing it which is literally what its supposed to do when tampered with, but then they used an Arc welder to build up the face of the locking nut, building up layers of weld to the point where the face circumference was doubled in size they then hammered a socket on that was a tight fit and used a breaker bar and they came off, all four took about 30 mins but I just thought id share their method as it was very effective and might help someone
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

It's great to hear you got it sorted in the end :D

Your missing locking wheel nut key is due to be found very soon :?

For drilling hard metals, I do like the colbat hardened drill bits. They get through tough stuff better than standard HSS bits but are much more easily broken if abused.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Neilcmusic1

Experienced Member
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000

Thanks, I guess sometimes just paying for something is the easiest option.