Lower wishbone/suspension control arm bush replacement

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: skyman

Top Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 115500
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

hi guys thinking of replacing the lower wishbone on both sides is it easy or a hard job to do and what are there pit falls if any I should look out for changing the whole unit both sides thanks in advance
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

skyman wrote:hi guys thinking of replacing the lower wishbone on both sides is it easy or a hard job to do and what are there pit falls if any I should look out for changing the whole unit both sides thanks in advance
Hi skyman, its almost cheaper to buy the wishbones with the 2 bushes and lower ball joint already attached and is much easier than trying to change the bushes on a bare wishbone.

Have a look at this ebay listing for Citroen C3 lower wishbones (new) for a price and then look at the price of just one (of the 2 different) lower control arm bushes from euro car parts :)

The pitfalls are getting the nuts undone without breaking the torx bits. Cutting them off with a grinder did the job ;)

Have a look at this topic Removing Citroen C3 wishbones

A lower control arm (lower wishbone) found on the Citroen C3
Lower control arm suspension wishbone from a Citroen C3
Lower control arm suspension wishbone from a Citroen C3

Now I found them: The euro car parts competitive price for a complete lower control arm - free delivery available. You will one for each side :D
here and here.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Top Contributor

hi Arfur Dent that's what i have done bought the full wishbone with the bushes will give it a go when they arrive will let you know how i got on
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

skyman wrote:hi Arfur Dent that's what i have done bought the full wishbone with the bushes will give it a go when they arrive will let you know how i got on
Great.

Photos of the progress (good and bad) are welcome :)

Well worth reading this topic because its the same job as you are going to do.
Arfur Dent wrote:Have a look at this topic Removing Citroen C3 wishbones
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Huxley309

Experienced Member
Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 67000

If those bolts are rusted or original, you are in for a lotta fun.

I rounded out a high grade impact torx trying to get them off, only thing that did was attacking the wishbone with an angle grinder.
Cut it up into it's three parts, otherwise it'll get in the way of the grinder.

I went for the lower portion of the bush, as it has the best clearance, 115mm disc just about did it, i would cut then rotate the bolt, sooner or later you'll get it off.

A reciprocating saw might be easier, but i didn't have one to hand at the time.

The four nuts and bolts came to about £27, the part numbers are posted in my thread.

They are a flat head bolt with a torx bit in the middle, that's nowhere near up to the job, hence the issue.
I tried my best in getting a grip on it somehow, but nope no chance and my gun would chew up anything that wasn't seriously strong anyway.

Top Contributor

right job done not to bad. if anybody is going to do the same just got remember about 4/5 days before you start the job spray loads of wd40 on the nuts and bolts every day before you start make sure you have a good TORQUE WRENCH + a good set of Hex Star Torx Spline Socket Bit Set + a set of Deep Impact Socket Set 1/2" Drive 12 Point Metric Socket set and take your time doing the job these are the nuts and bolts you will need
Citroen C3 diagram wishbone trailing arm
Citroen C3 diagram wishbone trailing arm
C3 wishbone suspension arm prices
C3 wishbone suspension arm prices
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Mileage: 140000

Huxley309 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:45 pm If those bolts are rusted or original, you are in for a lotta fun.
If you have access to a welder, then a new nut welded to the citroen bolt will give a better surface to apply some serious torque to loosen the special suspension bolts securing the lower wishbone/suspension control arm to the front subframe.

Citroen C3 lower control arm bolt stuck
Citroen C3 lower control arm bolt stuck
This can save cutting the original bolt and allows re-use of the control arm mounting bolts as they become less available :|

Citroen C3 control arm mounting bolts removed
Citroen C3 control arm mounting bolts removed
A pair of removed control arm/wishbone bolts that didn't need any special work :o
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Mileage: 140000

Before reassembly, coat the threads with some of this anti-seize copper slip compound. You don't need a lot of it as a small amount goes a long way. But the anti-seize properties of the compound are ideal for this situation. Low on the car the bolts are subjected to the road salt and a lot of surface water.

You will thank me should you ever have to remove the lower wishbones at any time in the future 8-)