key fob stopped operating the central locking

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: beanboy1

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: NA
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 62000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
DPF: No

My key fob stopped operating the central locking. I replaced the battery and carried out the re-setting procedure recommended (here) but it still does not work. Consulted Citroen dealer to no avail. The key will only lock the drivers door meaning that the boot and the other 3 doors are open when you leave the car.

However if when you park you leave the drivers window open, get out of the car stretch in through the open window, press the black central locking button, in centre of dashboard this locks all the doors, then remove keys and lift button to close drivers window, quickly withdrawing your arm. You will then find the car is fully locked.

You soon get used to doing it. :D

My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

beanboy1 wrote:My key fob stopped operating the central locking. I replaced the battery and carried out the re setting procedure recommended but it still does not work. Consulted Citroen dealer to no avail. The key will only lock the drivers door meaning that the boot and the other 3 doors are open when you leave the car.
However if when you park you leave the drivers window open, get out of the car stretch in through the open window, press the black central locking button, in centre of dashboard this locks all the doors, then remove keys and lift button to close drivers window, quickly withdrawing your arm. You will then find the car is fully locked.
You soon get used to doing it.
Thanks for sharing your tip beanboy1. I have been lucky to cure the occasional hiccup with the central locking by resetting the BSI (disconnect battery, wait, reconnect).

Any chance of a youtube video of your procedure being demonstrated? :D
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Ploddit

Contributor
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+

Mine was playing up by not unlocking, it would lock fine though. After trying to recode the key and do a BSI reset it didn't change.

Later on I changed the middle dash lock button, as mine looked a mess with the rubber paint stuff coming off, and it has been working perfectly for a year.
My Name: hicbibi

Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 62000
Trim Level: Rhythm

I'm a newbie here (be gentle!).

2002 C3, only 62k miles. The tip below for getting the doors locked is good :)

My CL only fails sporadically. Just fails to lock. Strangely, if I wait 15 mins, the remote then works just fine.

I suspect some interaction with other 433MHz devices. Maybe the remote gets confused if my weather station sensors just happen to send a message to base as I'm (trying to) lock the car. 99.9% of failures have been outside my house.

Any ideas on cause of this particular variant of CL problem?

Also, if trying the BSI reset by disconnecting the battery, is there anything else needed when reconnecting - i.e. does anything else need a reset?

Thanks,
hicbibi