Key fob reprogramming for a Citroen C3

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

To reprogram the key fobs to the Citroen C3 BSI (or ECU) follow this procedure:

Gather all the keys to the car and remove any loops or rings from the keys.
Sit in the drivers seat with all the keys and all the doors shut, radio off, no lights, everything OFF
Insert a key into the ignition
Turn ON the ignition
Press and hold the LOCK button on the key for TEN seconds
Turn off the ignition and remove the key
Insert the next key and repeat the procedure
WAIT 1 minute, do NOT switch anything on.

When the 1 minute is up, open the drivers door, exit the vehicle, close the door

Test the keys each lock and unlock the doors.

If the keyfob battery is flat you need this CR2016 battery (click here) they last for years on the shelf (or in the drawer).

Citroen C3 fob battery
Citroen C3 fob battery

If you have the facelift or new shape C3 (2006 and later), you will need a CR1620. You will probably get a message 'SERVICE' or 'Plip battery exhausted' message which will need to be cleared. See the instructions to clear the Plip battery exhausted message (here)

Citroen C3 fob battery exhausted
Citroen C3 fob battery exhausted
Get the battery here to fix your 2206 an on Citroen C3 fob

Pop open the key fob with a coin to show the battery and check the number to ensure the correct replacement.

There is a topic for repairing the fob (click here), useful if you have a button or two missing or even a broken switch. Follow the link above to make a repair and save having to buy a new key fob.
Did you know? C3 fob programming.
Did you know? C3 fob programming.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: jason35x

Hi,

Have done this and works great, then get up in the morning and same again the central locking button doesnt work.the remote has a new battery so not that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Guru

jason35x wrote:Hi,

Have done this and works great, then get up in the morning and same again the central locking button doesnt work.the remote has a new battery so not that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

If the central locking doesn't work in the morning, the BSI may have 'gone to deep sleep' because the (car) battery has drained too much.

Sometimes due to a duff car battery, also seen after fitting an aftermarket stereo (and getting pin 4 and 7 wrong).

I think you may have problems with poor car battery or a source draining the battery.

I see you have a possibly related question about the starter motor! - sounds like battery.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Thanks for the reply,

The mechanic came first thing in morning and put a voltmeter on battery and said all was well, could understand that if had been using the car and it had chance to build up.

Aftermarket stereo has been recently fitted by the owner before. I wonder if they did this had problems and may explain why I got it for a song. How can I check this one?

Thanks again

Guru

jason35x wrote: Aftermarket stereo has been recently fitted by the owner before. I wonder if they did this had problems and may explain why I got it for a song. How can I check this one?
For a quick and cheap test, just remove the stereo and pull the iso connectors from the back of the aftermarket radio.

(You may need some of these Car Radio Release Keys)

This is safe, disconnects the power drain source and is cheap.

You are without stereo for a few days while testing, but at least you know where the problem lies if disconnecting solves the deep sleep issue.

The solution to the ISO pin 4/7 power drain problem (deep sleep, no central locking) is in this forum post.

Finally, Its the stereo affecting the central locking, removed stereo, used your key guide and its fine. Rang citroen and they said they do an iso add on to fix this @£3.50 so going pick it up in morning.

Happy bunny! :D
My Name: LouLou1986

Contributor
Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 101000
Trim Level: Rhythm

Im having the same problem with my key due to my stereo that was fitted by the fella yesterday, how do i fix this? In dumb down terms would be wonderful :-(
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

LouLou1986 wrote:Im having the same problem with my key due to my stereo that was fitted by the fella yesterday, how do i fix this? In dumb down terms would be wonderful
Added aftermarket stereo to Citroen C3, now remote locking key is not working.
My Name: inti1808

Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 102578
Trim Level: VTR+

Hi, my keys got stolen, and I was told to make it is around £130, I found out eBay sell the keys as new without cut, is there a way I can make with out cost me a lot.

Inti

Guru

inti1808 wrote:Hi, my keys got stolen, and I was told to make it is around £130, I found out eBay sell the keys as new without cut, is there a way I can make with out cost me a lot.

Inti
Hi Inti, the ebay keys won't work as you will not be able to start the engine with them and if they are uncut, you can't open the door either manually, or without or programming the fob you can't unlock remotely.

You should have 2 keys for your C3, its very unlucky to have both stolen, have you contacted your insurers?

Your only options are - get a new key from the dealer who will program and cut it to your car (you say around £130)

or

Replace the engine ECU, BSI computer and use the keys matched for the ECU and BSI, you can pick up these kits on ebay (HERE) but this could cost more than the £130 and be a lot of hassle, changing parts, making sure the bits are compatible, etc :(

But, if you still have one C3 key, you can get these cloned at an auto locksmiths which will allow starting and unlocking manually and be much cheaper.