Ignition barrel replacement guide

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: etchin_uk

Contributor
Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 43000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

Both drivers and passenger door lock barrels are damaged on car. The key can be inserted, just, but will not turn and there is signs of physical damage (as if a foreign object has been inserted at some point in the past before I owned the vehicle) so I don’t think this is a solenoid/actuator sticking issue for instance.

As a result, I wish to replace both the door barrels. I can see sets on eBay for a reasonable price that includes:
Drivers door lock
Passenger door lock
Fuel cap
Ignition barrel (with transponder ring)

Firstly, has anyone got or know of a guide I can use to help me replace these parts?
I know I don’t really need the ignition barrel changed but it would be nice to have only 1 key so is it possible for me to replace the physical ignition barrel but keep the transponder (plastic receiver ring around the barrel) form the old barrel? I think it would then just be a case of me transferring over the new key blade onto my old key fob and everything should match. The reason for recycling my old transponder and key fob is because I don’t know if there is any other places in the vehicle (like ECU or something) that stores the key information.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
DPF: No
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

etchin_uk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:07 am Firstly, has anyone got or know of a guide I can use to help me replace these parts?
Have a look at C3 Door Handle Removal to see if your is similar with the rivets that need to be drilled out. Then the procedure will be very similar to the one in that topic.

The ignition barrel has a security screw, so you may have trouble removing the whole assembly.
etchin_uk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:07 am it possible for me to replace the physical ignition barrel but keep the transponder (plastic receiver ring around the barrel) form the old barrel?
Yes, its just a transceiver, nothing special happens in there.
etchin_uk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:07 am I think it would then just be a case of me transferring over the new key blade onto my old key fob and everything should match.

Yes, this is correct.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

I have just ordered a replacement lock set for the car off eBay so that should be with me in a few days. Tomorrow I will make a start on removing the trim and handle assembly. Thank you for the link to the guide. I will take some photos along the way as well and post back on here with progress incase others require similar assistance.

When you said the column has a security screw, what do you mean by this? Is it just a pain to access or does it require special tools?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

etchin_uk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:30 pm When you said the column has a security screw, what do you mean by this? Is it just a pain to access or does it require special tools?
It's a one time only screw. They fit it at the factory and a bit snaps off making it very difficult to reverse the process :o

Photos of your journey would be great :D
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Replacement lock set arrived today. £40 delivered from eBay. Total bargain if this works out I must say!

My ignition barrel came with a free steering column but my plan is to disgard that piece as I don’t want to replace the whole unit, only the ignition barrel.

Buying the ignition barrel still attached to the steering column has allowed me to work on the bits on the bench, so when I come to remove the old ignition barrel in the car I will know what I am workin with.

Anyway here are the progress photos of what I managed to achieve this evening. Whole process took no more than 15 minutes.

Angle grinder for the shear pin
Angle grinder for the shear pin
Shear pin through barrel
Shear pin through barrel
Two flats ground on shear pin
Two flats ground on shear pin
Enough flat to grip with pliers
Enough flat to grip with pliers
Almost out
Almost out
Flip over to reveal secondary push button release
Flip over to reveal secondary push button release
Insert key and rotate to allow push button to fully depress
Insert key and rotate to allow push button to fully depress
Fully depressed
Fully depressed
Ignition barrel separated
Ignition barrel separated
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Great work with the angle grinder on the security screw. I guess you will have to grind the one off that's in the car now and to do that safely, the steering column will need to come out 8-)

Thanks for all the pictures :) and your progress report :D

steering column support bracket on a Citroen C3 2011 A51
steering column support bracket on a Citroen C3 2011 A51

Contributor

Well, the way I see it I have 3 realistic options for the removing the security screw from column in the car.

1. The grinder, like above but without removing the column. The shear bolt should be accessible from the underside so I don’t see any issue getting to it. Obviously this will generate some grinding sparks so I will either put some damp old towels down around the area or construct a simple enclosure to catch the sparks.

2. Another method I saw on YouTube was to chisel a channel in the top shear head and then just screw the bolt out with a flat head screw driver. Could also be done and is less messy but also slower I imagine.

3. Remove the whole column and repeat process above on the bench

I have seen people saying tack weld something onto the shear bolt head so you can use that to remove the bolt but I don’t have a MIG welder so can’t do that one

Contributor

Well, funny story really. Tonight I had a crack at replacing the barrels in the doors (saving the ignition barrel / steering column until tomorrow). I started by removing the door trim panel and breaking every single plastic fir tree clip things. I didn’t think this was an issue at the time as I had already pre bought replacements. Turns out the ones I bought are the wrong size, maybe a few millimetres on diameter to big. I will buy the correct ones and post a link on here when I do. Watch this space.

Anyway. After taking the door trim off, freeing all the wires and peeling back the soundproofing sheet I finally got access to the rear of the handle assembly. At this point it became very obvious that I did not need to remove any of the door trim at all to replace the door barrel. In fact, I need only to have loosened one screw. Slightly red in the face I continued on and near on 2 minutes later I had switched both drivers and passengers barrels.

It really is a self explainatry and easy process. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t find a guide??? Only real tip I have is pay attention to the handed marking on the parts. The LH does fit in the RH (and visa versa) but it won’t seal good against the gasket. It’s very subtle so watch out.

Prize cover off
Prize cover off
As you can see, no rivets
As you can see, no rivets
Screw that needs to be loosened to slide barrel out. Has a sticker over it normally
Screw that needs to be loosened to slide barrel out. Has a sticker over it normally
Pull the barrel towards you and open the handle a little to free it up
Pull the barrel towards you and open the handle a little to free it up
On its way it the bin
On its way it the bin
Fit the new barrel in reverse order
Fit the new barrel in reverse order
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

etchin_uk wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:12 pm Well, funny story really. Tonight I had a crack at replacing the barrels in the doors (saving the ignition barrel / steering column until tomorrow). I started by removing the door trim panel and breaking every single plastic fir tree clip things. I didn’t think this was an issue at the time as I had already pre bought replacements. Turns out the ones I bought are the wrong size, maybe a few millimetres on diameter to big. I will buy the correct ones and post a link on here when I do. Watch this space.

Anyway. After taking the door trim off, freeing all the wires and peeling back the soundproofing sheet I finally got access to the rear of the handle assembly. At this point it became very obvious that I did not need to remove any of the door trim at all to replace the door barrel. In fact, I need only to have loosened one screw. Slightly red in the face I continued on and near on 2 minutes later I had switched both drivers and passengers barrels.

It really is a self explanatory and easy process. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t find a guide??? Only real tip I have is pay attention to the handed marking on the parts. The LH does fit in the RH (and visa versa) but it won’t seal good against the gasket. It’s very subtle so watch out.
Thank you for all the information. I am sure it will save someone else some time in the future :)

Contributor

Regarding the trim clips. I didn’t buy any replacements. I just modified them a bit. Gave them lick with some sandpaper on the outside and then they fitted like a charm! I am not waiting 2 days to put a piece of door trim back on, no chance!