Excessive sloppy gearstick movement - how to repair

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
Chapster
Contributor
Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 124300
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
Left or Right Hand Drive (LHD/RHD): RHD (UK)

Tue May 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi,

My C3 was suffering from a gearstick that didn't centre itself when taking out of gear, travelled too far backwards when putting into gear, and generally didn't feel right.

The cause was the sheath on one of the gear cables having sheared, so when the inner cable was moving, it was also moving the outer sheath, increasing the overall movement of the gearstick for the same amount of movement of the inner cable to the gearbox.
IMG_4707_small.jpg
I fixed it months ago (and it's still fine) by using two jubilee clips and two plasterboard screws. I chose plasterboard screws due to their very sharp threads and hardness.

I bent the screws to introduce a step into them, so that they would sit properly on the cable sheath and the compressed joint piece, digging into both evenly. I taped one at a time into position, then when both were positioned where I wanted them, I installed the jubilee clips and did them up very tightly to cause the screws to really dig in. To get the sheath into the right position, I moved the gearstick forward (third gear) which retracted the cable inner and the sheath.
IMG_4712_small.jpg
The gearstick now doesn't go back so far that it almost hits the passenger seat in 2nd, doesn't grind when trying to get into reverse, and centres itself when taking out of gear. Much easier to use. A great deal cheaper than replacing the cables.

Hopefully this might help someone.
Arfur Dent
Guru
Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
Left or Right Hand Drive (LHD/RHD): RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve (diesel) (90 PS)

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:19 pm

You can find a complete set of gear selector cables for the C3 by licking this link.
citroen-c3-sloppy-gear-selector-fix.jpg
Citroen C3 sloppy gear selector fix
citroen-c3-sloppy-gear-selector-fix.jpg (58.69 KiB) Viewed 151 times
They look like this if you wanted to replace the cables or the fix is not the solution for you :)