Central Locking BSI Repair

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: Outbound1

Top Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 39000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

I have put a little bit of information on here of how I replaced the Top PCB board with the relays and other components on my BSI.

I bought my C3 in early December. I bought it knowing that it had a fault with the central locking and it was a good price, with only 39,000 on the clock.

The problems that I had with it was that the rear and passenger doors were dead locked and the child lock switch light was permanently on. I eventually got the doors open, by putting 12v down the C/L plug on the BSI, I then removed the fuse, which left the doors un-locked. I could just about live with that, but it just didn't feel right, parking up and leaving it.
BSI plug arrowed for Central Locking faults
BSI plug arrowed for Central Locking faults
Matrix of connector for overriding the central locking on a Citroen C3 BSI
Matrix of connector for overriding the central locking on a Citroen C3 BSI
questions-about-a-citroen-c3-not-relate ... 3-t76.html

Over the last month, I have been looking on this and other Citroen websites for different idea's as to what the problem could be. The fact that the doors locked OK on the remote, but did not open, lead me to thinking it was one of the relays. My plan was to send it away to BBA Reman, in a couple of weeks. I then came across a post on another site of a man who had the same problem with a Citroen Berlingo. After looking at some of his photos I noticed that the BSI was similar to the C3.

This is what I eventually did. I bought a second hand BSI with the same part number on eBay for £20.
BSI removed and cracked open on a Citroen C3
BSI removed and cracked open on a Citroen C3
After taking the casing off you will notice that it is in two parts. The lower part of the PCB's is the car's processor and the upper section contains several relays and other components. The two PCB'S are held together by two multi pin plugs, although they are fitted very tightly. I learnt that the top relay section has no bearing on the cars computer so there should be no problems with mileage or other settings being changed.

So I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I wasn't sure what to use to pry the two parts apart, luckily my Wife is Oriental, so there was a large supply of wooden chop sticks in the draw. After a while the boards came a apart, but it is very important that you take care not squash any of the components.
C3 BSI relay board attached to processor board on a Citroen C3
C3 BSI relay board attached to processor board on a Citroen C3
The relay board has been separated from the processor board that is linked by the black stand-offs in the picture.
C3 BSI relay board removed
C3 BSI relay board removed

The next thing to do was to remove the BSI out of the car (C3 BSI removal instructions are here) and this was the scary bit, splitting to two parts of the cars BSI. One mistake and that would be it, major problems ahead. As the car's PCB was more important, I was even more gentle with it, but that made it harder to get them apart. In the end I could see the top of the pins sticking out of the top board, so using the Wife's chop stick I pushed on the top of the pins as they seemed quite tough and eventually the boards came apart. It didn't take long to put the second hand relay board onto of the original one. Then the moment of truth put the BSI back in the car and it started first time. I tried all the systems and central locking and all is working.

I am certainly no expert, but if I can do it ,anyone can, just take extra care pulling them apart so as not to break anything on the boards. This idea can also solve other relay issues on the board and save having to wait for it to be sent away and maybe still not fixed. Best of luck, Jeff
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Thank you for your time and effort putting this together. I am sure many others can make use of this to fix those C3 BSI relay faults themselves and save a bit of money in the process.
My Name: Pieterth

Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.6 i
Mileage: 80000
Gearbox: SensoDrive
LHD or RHD: LHD
Engine name: TU5 16-valve (110 PS)

Recently (June 11th 2017) the central locking system on my Citroen C3 exclusive (sensodrive) stopped functioning properly. The rear doors (back seat doors) stayed completely shut, both from the inside and outside. The passenger door in the front could only be opened form the inside and the driver seat door could only be opened manually with the key. The push button of the electrically activated child lock was continuously illuminated. Only the luggage compartment door in de back could still be operated with the remote key.

While searching on internet I came across the internet link ( Citroen C3 Central Locking BSI Repair ) describing exactly the same problem.
In this article the problem was caused by the BSI fuse/relay board which is piggy-back mounted on the processor board (BSI a look inside topic) which are interconnected via two connectors.

Reading this I took my chances and ordered via eBay (on June 15th )

a BSI module (click here to search for a matching BSI) which showed on the picture in eBay exactly the same model number as the original in my car. It came from Estonia and arrived Friday June 17th via express DHL for 33 GBP incl.

In the meantime I managed to open the rear doors via the trick of sending +12 volt pulses to the disconnected (from the BSI) C/L cable plug ( pin 16 red, pin 15 brown, pin 13 white) employing three three-way switches connected in the arrangement shown below. Notice that the battery is dedicated to the operation of the locks via the switch arrangement and is completely disconnected with both minus and plus poles from the car. I put some effort in clarifying this because it took me some time to understand this subject on the forum. (Citroen C3: Help me break in)

Switch_pulse_arrangement.jpeg
As soon as the second hand BSI unit arrived I separated the two plastic cover parts around the BSI and started working on separating the two Printed Circuit Boards . I used two oval shaped carpenter pencils to separate the two boards by sticking the carpenter pencil (unused thus no sharp ends) close to the connector and than by rotating the oval shaped pencil slowly forcing the fuse/relay board to come off the pins of the connectors. Ensure you rotate the pencil in an area against the processor board without any electronic components.
I did exactly the same with the original BSI module from my C3 and exchanged the relay/fuse board in the original for the fuse/relay board from Estonia .
After assembling and replacing the plastic cover I reinstalled the BSI in the car , replugging all the cables and to my pleasure after connecting the battery to the car, the central locking system operates as it did before this problem started. This was on Saturday June 17th.

I am thus very grateful to the author of the referenced story in the forum as this also worked for me.

I also spent some time to check the original fuse/relay board and discovered that the coil connections of the relay YH119 012-1Z11-1A (here) showed an open circuit and this could be the cause of the problem.

Below you see the position of the faulty relay (with sticker) on the fuse/ relay section board in the BSI.
Citroen C3 Central Locking Faulty Relay Location (Arrowed)
Citroen C3 Central Locking Faulty Relay Location (Arrowed)
In hindsight I could have avoided spending the money on a second hand BSI by replacing only the faulty Citroen C3 central locking relay.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Pieterth wrote: I managed to open the rear doors via the trick of sending +12 volt pulses to the disconnected ( from the BSI) C/L cable plug ( pin 16 red, pin 15 brown, pin 13 white) employing three three-way switches connected in the arrangement shown
Good work :)
Pieterth wrote:I did exactly the same with the original BSI module from my C3 and exchanged the relay/fuse board in the original for the fuse/relay board from Estonia .
Great idea. Keep the coding on the processor board and only swap the power/fuse board. Thanks for the information :)
Pieterth wrote:I am thus very grateful to the author of the referenced story in the forum as this also worked for me.
You are welcome :)

The faulty C3 central locking relay
Is available here - YH119 012-1Z11-1A
My Name: GinettaMan

Contributor
Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 40000
Trim Level: LX
Gearbox: Flappy paddles

Finally found time to fix my mums car same problem i.e. All the locks jammed shut. Changed the relay board and it's working properly again! Mums very pleased as I've saved her car being writen off or £1500 bill quoted by the idiots at a Citroen dealer. H