BSI removal

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: omarsmith

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 134000
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Up to this point I have seen a bit of information on BSI faults and C3CAR's informational tear-down of the BSI, but the one thing that lacked was how to actually remove the unit and where it was located. In the 2002-2009 (pre-facelift) Right-hand drive model the unit is situated above the passenger side footwell, inside the glove compartment. As the BSI itself forms the interior fuseboard it can be accessed by removing the pop-off panel with a fuse symbol on it.

BSI release pop-off access panel:

Hinge down the BSI (clip underneath)
Hinge down the BSI (clip underneath)

Press the clip in to allow the BSI to hinge down

Citroen C3 hinge down fuse box clip
Citroen C3 hinge down fuse box clip

BSI shown released and hinged down to access fuses:

pop off the grey cover to reveal the BSI on a Citroen C3
pop off the grey cover to reveal the BSI on a Citroen C3
More pictures in this topic

Removal of the BSI, in my case, at least, was not a totally straightforward process. It took me a good 20 minutes or so to get it out, probably because the locking mechanism on the electrical connectors was stiff from having not been used since the car was built. These are not recommended or professional instructions, but a recount of how I removed my BSI to send it off for repair:
  • There are two white plastic fixings that hold the unit in on the side facing towards you. These need to be removed, but they are brittle, and so I couldn't see any other way of doing it besides breaking them away.
  • The unit is resting on a thin plastic frame with support on three sides - the left, the right, and the edge closest to you. Gently push these sides of this frame outwards so the base of the BSI is able to slip through them.
  • You should now be able to push the BSI downwards from the edge of the unit facing closest to you in a 'hinging' motion from the back. The BSI has pins on it which lock it into two rails toward the back of the unit, so don't pull it out completely or you risk breaking them.
  • Uncouple each of the ten electrical connectors on the board. For the connectors with a red tab on one side, this is done by sliding the tab outwards from the connector and then gradually working the connector free of its socket - this red tab will move out further until the connector just pulls free. Tips:
    • Don't use something to try and force the tab outwards as it is too thin and will snap.
    • Don't pull on the wires when working the connector away as you risk pulling them out of it.
    • Don't pull too hard on the plug while you're working it free as the socket is directly mounted to the BSI's circuit board and you don't want to damage it.
    The other connectors towards the back of the board have a little plastic bar going over them which is held in place by a ridged plastic tab. These connectors are more easily released - push the tab down and hinge the little bar down to the side of the connector; this action will push the connector free of the board.
  • A small six-pin connector to the back-right of the board (looking into the glovebox) was a particular nightmare for me and was the last one I removed. Lots of pulling and levering with pliers and a screwdriver did very little to free the connector, eventually it just came free from being pulled directly outwards but I don't know for sure what the release mechanism on this one was.
  • Once all of your connectors are free you should clearly see the rails on the sides of the fuse compartment that the BSI is hanging from. Slide the BSI towards you and it will just come free - your unit is now removed.
Unfortunately I don't have photos of this procedure as my hands were filthy from fire extinguisher powder(!) that the unit was covered in when removing. I hope that it helps somebody to take their unit out though - I'm sending mine off tomorrow morning and will report back on how the company did.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Another little tip for removing or dismantling, take photos so you can remember where all the connectors go when it comes to re-assembly. If your hands are occupied, phone a friend :D

Sounds like someone's been having fun - fire extinguisher powder?

Good description, the only part I'm not clear on is dropping the BSI down at the start. On mine, there is one white fixing on the front of the BSI which turns through 90°, the BSI then hinges down?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Contributor

Missing Lincs wrote:take photos so you can remember where all the connectors go
I thought about this but I couldn't get the right angle - if you're wondering, none of the plugs can be accidentally swapped as they're all unique.
Missing Lincs wrote:On mine, there is one white fixing on the front of the BSI which turns through 90°, the BSI then hinges down?
At this point I should correct myself and say that there is only one white fixing, and I accidentally broke it. (Shown bottom right in this picture):

Citroen C3 fuse box location
Citroen C3 fuse box location

It's probably a securing tab, but the good news is the BSI is still secure without it! :D In your case simply hinge your BSI down to allow you access to remove all the plugs.
Missing Lincs wrote:Sounds like someone's been having fun - fire extinguisher powder?
Haha, fun is something that particular incident certainly was not! About a year back I was out and about when I smelled plastic, so I pulled into a petrol station to look into it. Some new electronic equipment that had been fitted had malfunctioned, drawing high current through a length of signal cable and setting alight the insulation! Not wanting the car wrecked (or the petrol station to blow up) I thought it prudent to extinguish the flame. Just wish they'd had a CO2 one.

Contributor

Thread update: I got my BSI unit back a week after sending it away (including a weekend) and it works perfectly.

The company I used to inspect and repair my unit was BBA Reman UK in Richmond Upon Thames, London. I used their postal service but they also have a walk-in centre if you need quick turnaround.

For inspection and repair including return shipping (the unit is returned well packed and fully insured) and VAT I paid £133.20, and all repaired units come with a lifetime warranty against re-failure too. If you choose to use them to fix a problem (they can repair loads of things), you will need to fill out and enclose this form or your repair will be delayed until they know whose unit it is (oops!). Also, let them know you were recommended by me (Omar) ;)

BSI (Body Control module) faults are not uncommon on early C3s, and they can become a real nuisance if left unrepaired. Symptoms can be any combination of:
  • Car turns over but will not start (immobilizer activated)
  • Dipped beam lights switch on and will not switch off (a very common symptom)
  • Front and/or rear wiper operate of their own accord and will not switch off
  • Indicators non-functional
  • Audible hazard light 'click' non-functional
  • Remote locking or interior lock button stops working
  • AIRBAG indicators illuminate
Please note that if you or a mechanic suspects a BSI fault, you must assume that the airbags, antilock brakes and seatbelt pretensionsers will be non-functional in an accident since these are all electronically triggered. BBA will inspect a unit for around £30 if you aren't sure whether it is faulty.

Hope this helps!
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)