BE4R Seized RHS hanger bearing.

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice or you just want others to know something that is not specific to the fuel a Citroen C3 uses, please, post it here. Manual Gearbox, bodywork, interior, wheels and tyres are all welcome here.
Forum rules
Tips for any Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

No Engine tips

Think: Manual Gearbox, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, Wheels, Steering, Brakes and Suspension
My Name: Iceni

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 106000
Trim Level: SX
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Finally got round to doing my C3 diff seals and wishbones today. (1.4 16v hdi). This is how I went about it. I couldn't find a tutorial online for this so I went in blind.

The RHS half shaft hanger bearing was completely seized. It was solid no chance at all to split the shaft out of it.

So I had a good look around the bearing and it's hanger to see if there was a way to remove the hanger. Do not try and beat the hanger away from the bearing. It won't work and you may do more damage than good.

You can remove the hanger: But there are 2 metal dowels that will prevent it sliding off and also prevent you hammering the carrier away from the shaft. You have very limited sideways movement on the shaft out of the diff. Meaning if you have a seized bearing you have to either drop the gearbox. Or do some modifications.

I took the later approach.

Break the hub nut, Break the wheel bolts.

Jack and support.

Remove the hub nut (30mm), Brake calliper(T55), Brake disc(T30), Cable tie the calliper to the coil springs.

Remove the pinch bolt from the back of the ball joint (16/17mm) and separate ball joint.

Remove half shaft from hub.

Get under the car:

Remove engine tray and the cross brace.

Drain gearbox (8mm square)

Slacken the 2 retaining bolts on hanging bearing carrier (11mm). Flip the lugs on the carrier.

The Half shaft at this point should split.

If that doesn't happen and you can't get anything to move you then need to change tactics.

Grab a regular hacksaw blade, Some vice grips, and eye protection.

Look at the carrier. You should see 3 bolts (16mm) with 10mm extension on the top.

The 2 top bolts will have a square black box bolted to it, Remove the box (10mm). Push the box out of the way.

The lower left bolt will have the same threaded extension, but nothing will be bolted to it. Cut off the Extension part (it gets in the way when you slide out the bolt) grip the blade in the grips with the teeth pointing down so you can pull cut it.

Unbolt the extra casing on the side of the diff it should be 3 bolts (13mm) and the casing will need prizing out a touch (this gives you some wobble room on the shaft.

Unbolt all 3 bolts (watch out for the starter solenoid it'll spark a bit if you catch it). The top 2 will come out like normal, the bottom one will get caught on the half shaft but will be out of the threads in the engine.

Grab a flat screwdriver and prize the carrier away from the engine you should be able to get a gap of about 5mm. Use the saw blade on the bottom left of the carrier in the gap you have made. There will be a soft dowel protruding just to the left of the lower bolt. You should be able to use about 2 inches of saw blade, set about 5 inches out of the grips (teeth down pull cut), It's soft and cuts easy.

Once cut allow the carrier to reseat. Take a long flat screwdriver and prize the top part of the carrier, You should be able to rotate it off the hard dowel that is in place on the top right. Once it's free of that you can start to work the half shaft complete with hanger out of the engine bay. It will still be a fiddle to get out but it will come.

You may find the extra casing on the diff that you unbolted follows the shaft out. There is a plastic pump tube inside that part that may fall out, On my car this does nothing as there is nothing from the output on that casing but when you come to put it back in there are 2 lugs on one end of the tube that locate inside the diff.

Once out you can hammer the bearing carrier off the bearing, Emery the races, make sure it slides on and off with just a tap. Grease. You can then put the hanger back on the engine.

It wasn't an easy job. Those bearing carriers if seized to the bearing are very hard to separate. Even when it was out of the car it too a fair few good hammer blows to get it to start moving. It was rust from the outer race of the bearing that had caused it to seize to the carrier, and the inner part of the hanger races had signs of water ingress past the bearings. Getting the car up good and high on axle stands is a must for this job, you will the car to be up 400+mm at the front jacking points to have enough space to saw off those parts.
Citroen C3 drive shafts on a BE5 gearbox found on 16v engine models
Citroen C3 drive shafts on a BE5 gearbox found on 16v engine models
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Citroen C3 16v HDi Driveshaft Intermediate Bearing Hanger
Citroen C3 16v HDi Driveshaft Intermediate Bearing Hanger