P0102 MAF fault - Lacks power when cold 1.4 HDi 16v

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice to give or you just want others to know something that is Specific to the a Diesel Citroen C3, please, post it here.
Forum rules
Tips for a Diesel powered Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plug tips
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

The 16v 1.4 HDi lacks power when cold, struggles up hills on the first drive of the day. Problem disappears within minutes and doesn't come back until a cold morning. If the first route of the day doesn't include a steep(ish) hill, the problem is not noticed.

Disconnecting the MAF helps a bit, but the performance is not great.

Lexia shows P0102 Permanent Fault, Flowmeter signal Short circuit to earth or open circuit.
C3 1.4 16v P0102 MAF Fault - lacks power when cold.
C3 1.4 16v P0102 MAF Fault - lacks power when cold.
Lexia suggests electrical testing for wiring faults from the MAF to ECU, shorts to earth and shorts to 12v, uses the T4229-t break out box (which I don't have) in order to get better access to the ECU signals. With all tests passed, it looks like the MAF really is faulty.

There is lots of talk about cheaper alternative MAFs, other than the Pierberg units used by Citroen, usually not good news.

Luckily Euro Car Parts have an Pattern Part version, but you can also find the C3 1.4 16v Diesel Air Mass Meter on Amazon].

I opted for the cheaper unbranded version from eBay, this one - HDI Mass Air Flow Sensor Meter].

Its now fitted, a simple job and makes a big improvement to the power from cold and the 16v is back to 'pulling like a train' again. It always was quite powerful, but the new MAF just makes it better.

To change the MAF;

remove the top engine cover (it just pulls off),

Remove the big air pipe from the turbo and the other end from the MAF.
Remove the turbo inlet pipe to remove the MAF
Remove the turbo inlet pipe to remove the MAF
You can see 2 torx screws on the MAF
Turbo inlet pipe removed to give access to the MAF on a 16v Citroen C3
Turbo inlet pipe removed to give access to the MAF on a 16v Citroen C3
and there is 1 hidden underneath.
torx screw hiding under the Mass Airflow sensor on a citroen C3 1.4 16v HDI
torx screw hiding under the Mass Airflow sensor on a citroen C3 1.4 16v HDI
Disconnect the electrical connector, remove the 3 torx screws and pull the MAF off.

Just reverse the procedure to fit the new MAF.

Only time will tell how the unbranded MAF will hold up and I will report back if things change.

Many of the Mass airflow sensors for the 16v C3 diesels are listed as 1.6 engine, but it also fits the 1.4 16v, with Citroen part numbers 1920GV (1920.GV) and 1920LC (1920.LC) looking like they are interchangeable.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: midiman

Experienced Member
Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 141000

Hi,

I am getting the same problem.

But mine is saying that it's an intermittent fault.

Did changing you unit solve the problem? i.e did the code go away?

Guru

midiman wrote:Hi,
Did changing you unit solve the problem? i.e did the code go away?
Yes, the car drives much better with the new MAF.

I didn't even check the code had gone because the fault had obviously gone because the car drives like it should do.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Guru

Time for an update
Arfur Dent wrote:Only time will tell how the unbranded MAF will hold up and I will report back if things change.
The pattern part MAF just outlasted its warranty :(

Fault has returned, lacks power when pulling away with low RPM. The low RPM gives a low airflow, because the worn out MAF reads low airflow anyway the problem is compounded and the quantity of fuel injected is reduced to match the erroneous very low air flow, resulting in low power.

I captured the live data with lexia. This is what a good MAF airflow should look like;
A good airflow reading from live data on a good MAF on a Citroen C3 HDi
A good airflow reading from live data on a good MAF on a Citroen C3 HDi

and the one below is what I am getting with the 18 month old MAF of questionable long term quality doing the same journey, on the same day. Included is low speed driving, an uphill drive and a downhill drive under engine braking.
worn out MAF giving a low reading for airflow on a C3 diesel resulting in a lack of power.
worn out MAF giving a low reading for airflow on a C3 diesel resulting in a lack of power.
midiman wrote:Did changing you unit solve the problem? i.e did the code go away?
The same fault code eventually returned with the same symptoms - a lack of power at low RPM. The fall off of power was gradual and not so easy to notice at first, but the fix has an immediate result in the pull away from standing start. :)

Euro Car Parts have quality, branded Mass Airflow Sensors for the C3 diesels.