Fuel tank pump refitting, locking ring won't go back on.

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice to give or you just want others to know something that is Specific to the a Diesel Citroen C3, please, post it here.
Forum rules
Tips for a Diesel powered Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plug tips
My Name: KEVINWCFS

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2010 (60)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

After removing a fuel pump from a diesel 2010 C3 the locking ring would not go back on, the problem being the tank has deformed due the ethanol in the fuel, its like trying to fit a ring that is 2mm to small, or the ring is metric sized and the opening on the fuel tank is british standard, it feels like your trying to cross thread the locking ring, the opening on the tank has changed shape and is slightly oval so the ring doesn't want to go back on, citroen are aware of the problem and recommend a new fuel tank as a fix (cheers citroen) the only solution is to fit a new fatter o-ring and blue hylomar sealant (it's the only one that is fuel/ethanol resistant) o-ring size is inner 125mm + 6mm thick, it's not ideal but its about as good it gets, ive tried new locking rings and new o-rings but still the fuel leaks, the misshaped fuel tank opening can not be fixed, , the attached diagram shows the locking ring (no3 & no4) o-ring. Before I removed the fuel pump it was not leaking I removed it to fix a faulty sender unit, wish I didnt bother now and just put up with a fuel gauge that didnt fill the last two segments to say full, so if you have a faulty fuel gauge think twice about removing the pump from a plastic fuel tank. . .Good luck if you have to. And bring back steel fuel tanks citroen.

Citroen C3 fuel tank locking ring fitting
Citroen C3 fuel tank locking ring fitting