1.4 16v HDI EGR Valve removal and refitting

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice to give or you just want others to know something that is Specific to the a Diesel Citroen C3, please, post it here.
Forum rules
Tips for a Diesel powered Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plug tips
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Here are some photos I took while removing the EGR valve of my 1.4 Diesel 16v Citroen C3 for inspection and cleaning. The EGR valve turns out to be that mechanical/pneumatic version as opposed to the electronic version fitted to some models. The procedure is going to be very similar for both, but the electronic version will have an electrical connection to disconnect rather than having to prise off a rubber tube.

The first steps are to remove the air filter housing and associated plastic pipe for the turbo inlet and the air box inlet.
There is a post here:How to change the Citroen C3 air filter which shows the steps to remove the air filter (and all the pipes mentioned above). With the air filter removed, further remove the air filter box by removing the internal 'H section' and releasing the clips on the sides to separate the 2 halves of the air box.

This is how the air filter box look when its out of the car:
Citroen C3 HDi Air filter box removed from car. Showing the removable H section
Citroen C3 HDi Air filter box removed from car. Showing the removable H section
With all the big pipes removed and the air filter box out of the way, the EGR valve is clearly visible behind the engine:
Citroen C3 HDi EGR valve on the car.
Citroen C3 HDi EGR valve on the car.
The clip shown is a factory fitted clip, its a one time use only. I highly recommend getting a replacement clip (new ones are reusable) in advance if one is not already fitted. The cost from citroen was £12.36 and was a breeze to fit, but trying to refit the original failed after several attempts. The part number for the reusable EGR clip is 1628.3J (here) 'Tube Collar'.

A photo showing the reusable EGR valve clip and the original citroen factory fit clip:
EGR Valve clips on a citroen C3 Hdi. Factory fit and replacement shown.
EGR Valve clips on a citroen C3 Hdi. Factory fit and replacement shown.
The EGR valve is attached to the engine with 2 bolts which need to be removed, don't loose the metal shim gasket.

You need to remove the fixings of the EGR pipe, but not remove the pipe (unless you want to clean this too) to remove the valve:
C3 EGR pipe mounting bolt location
C3 EGR pipe mounting bolt location
C3 EGR valve pipe removal. Showing o-ring
C3 EGR valve pipe removal. Showing o-ring
With the EGR pipe mountings removed, the EGR clip detached and the 2 EGR valve mounting bolts removed, its just the vacuum pipe to remove (or the electrical connection depending on what's fitted) to release the EGR valve for inspection, cleaning and testing.

For the pneumatic version:

EGR valve for a Citroen C3 diesel
EGR valve for a Citroen C3 diesel

The valve will open if a vacuum is applied to the vacuum connection. You can use a handheld vacuum pump to generate enough 'vacuum' to operate the valve. Its possible to see the the valve open and is easier to clean with it open. The valve closes under pressure from an internal spring. Clean the dirty part of the valve, test the vacuum works and check the valve movement is smooth and not jammed or sticking.

I used some brake cleaner to clean the EGR valve, because that's what I had laying around, it did a very good job :)

If the EGR valve fails its testing, if the spring is broken and doesn't close the valve or the vacuum doesn't open the valve then you can you will need a replacement part - C3 EGR valve

Citroen C3 HDi 1.4 16v pneumatic EGR Valve available here CITROEN: 9646335680, 9641052380 and 1628XV EGR Valve - found on other makes that use the same engine.

If you want to clean the rest of the EGR system, you can use some Diesel EGR Cleaner (click here)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)