Advanced (Easy) diesel priming 1.4 HDi

If you have a Tip or Trick, some advice to give or you just want others to know something that is Specific to the a Diesel Citroen C3, please, post it here.
Forum rules
Tips for a Diesel powered Citroen C3

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plug tips
My Name: SpudGun

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 116000
Trim Level: SX
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Heres my first proper post, and its offering some help, hopefully you might benefit if you're having similar problems to me.

I was having problems getting the car to prime post a fuel filter replacement. Its one of the first jobs I've done post buying my C3, along with a little EGR work, and a new air filter, and was fairly straightforward after following the Haynes Manual, but it left a large chunk of air in the fuel system. On trying and inspecting the hand primer, a small hole had worn through the side underneath meaning I had to keep a finger over the hole to stop it sucking in a little air each time. But try as I might the car simply wasn't starting. I figured the Haynes description of how to prime and bleed the system wasn't clear to follow, and more importantly wasn't working.

Please note if you can get the car to prime and start using just the hand primer, this is not the method you need. This is only for when you simply cant get the thing to start and you suspect air in the fuel system, or you've replaced the filter and know you've a lot of air to remove..

Time for a little lateral thinking...
gesDBuf4RFG3BhTAzJ%JcA.jpg
My beast of an engine in its natural home.
Citroen C3 Engine fuel filter in situ
Citroen C3 Engine fuel filter in situ
Fuel filter in situ. Ensure the drain is closed, you want this point sealed in the system
WzN35uQhSx26fD6IruSnRQ.jpg
Hand Primer Location
1T7oo7q6SpWTprHrMvmIqA.jpg
Fuel in/out of the engine

OK so this is my work around that seems a lot simpler than most of the other guides I've seen, including the Haynes book.

You need to squeeze the clip and separate the GREEN connector on the fuel lines, this is the return line that sends fuel back to the tank.
4Je25rT1ScqdcQT8N8OmhQ.jpg
Opening the fuel return line.

So here goes, this should purge air not just from the filter, but the majority of the engine fuel system...

For Safety, stick on a pair of gloves to protect your hands from the diesel.

Place a finger over the fuel return pipe - you want the side the engine is on, not the loose pipe

SQUEEZE the primer and HOLD the primer in the squeezed position.

For a brief instant remove then quickly put back the finger on the green fuel return. You'll probably hear and feel a bit of air movement on the fuel return and get a puff of air.

Repeat until you get a squirt of diesel coming out of the fuel return pipe you have your finger over.

Replace the loose return pipe on to the green fuel connector you had your finger over.

Put everything away and try starting the engine, you should find its now primed thoroughly and capable of starting.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Thanks for the tip.

It's also possible to prime the filter with diesel before you fit it and this can save a lot space that would be taken up by air.

The fuel left in the old filter is useful to use for priming the new one ;) it's easier than trying to get it back in the tank :lol:
My Name: SpudGun

Contributor
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 116000
Trim Level: SX
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Now that didn't occur to me and wasn't sure how that would be achieved.

I am however looking at replacing the full engine pipe system for diesel including the hand primer. That primer doesn't seem to be easily replaced as theres no quick release connectors on it.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

SpudGun wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 pm I am however looking at replacing the full engine pipe system for diesel including the hand primer. That primer doesn't seem to be easily replaced as theres no quick release connectors on it.
This has come up before, but maybe that was an 8valver. It seems you need quite a bit of the plastic pipe including the hand primer because it's one part. There should be a picture of the part somewhere on the forum. If not, start a new question and hopefully one will magically appear :D