How to replace the Pluriel rear window hinge.

Please share heare any tips you have that is specific to the Citroen C3 Pluriel variant - like the roof.
Forum rules
Tips and Tricks for the Citroen C3 Pluriel

Tips from forum members are encouraged and very welcome.

Questions are not to be posted in this section

Think: Pluriel roof and rear window jobs
My Name: screeminjesus

Contributor

I hope you find this of some use.

Citroen description – Mechanism Cable. Part number – 8484 C2. Specify left or right hand side. Also called 8484C2 or 8484.C2

I’d like to say a special thanks to Robert MacGregor at “C3 Pluriel Fixer and Fitter” based in Huddersfield for his valuable advice.

Warning: There is a metal coil that pulls the roof back into the cassette. This can be seen next to the hinge when the roof is closed. If this has damaged (bent or kinked) when opening or closing the rear window then this procedure might not work.

1. Wind the roof back over the rear screen ( Illustration 1 )
2. Open the rear screen far enough to open and drop the tailgate ( Illustration 2 )
3. Reach under and press the handle to release the cassette ( Illustration 3)
4. Lift the cassette up at the bottom ( Illustration 4 )
5. Make sure you hold the effected hinge at the top ( Illustration 5 )
6. Gently open the cassette at the top to expose the hinge ( Illustration 6 )
7. Remove the 2 Torx screws from the top arm. Using a T25 screwdriver ( Illustration 7 )
8. Note, these screws are shorter than the screws in the bottom arm.
9. When you extract the metal arm try to ease off the foam strip rather than damaging it ( Illustration 8 )
10. Remove the 2 Torx screws from the bottom arm using a T25 screwdriver ( Illustration 9 )
11. The new hinge should come with a couple of foam pads. Remove the backing strip and stick each pad in place ( Illustrations 11 – 13)
12. The pack should also have two replacement arms, however as you can see from Illustration 14, one of these was wrong – Thanks Citroen!
13. Pull out the old hinge with a pair of pliers and a little persuasion ( Illustration 15 )
14. Fit the new hinge ( Illustration 16)
15. Fit the new arms ( Illustration 17 ) or old one if the new one supplied is wrong.
16. And insert the new Torx screws. Short in top arm, long in bottom arm.
17. Stick the foam strip back on with a bit of evostick.
18. Close everything up and it should work fine.
The Parts - Later you will see one of them was wrong
The Parts - Later you will see one of them was wrong
Wind the roof back over the rear screen.
Wind the roof back over the rear screen.
Open the rear screen far enough to open and drop the tailgate.
Open the rear screen far enough to open and drop the tailgate.
Reach under and press the handle to release the cassette
Reach under and press the handle to release the cassette
Lift the cassette up at the bottom.
Lift the cassette up at the bottom.
Make sure you hold the effected hinge at the top.
Make sure you hold the effected hinge at the top.
Gently open the cassette at the top to expose the hinge.
Gently open the cassette at the top to expose the hinge.
Remove the 2 Torx screws from the top arm. Using a T25 screwdriver. Note, these screws are shorter than the screws in the bottom arm.
Remove the 2 Torx screws from the top arm. Using a T25 screwdriver. Note, these screws are shorter than the screws in the bottom arm.
When you extract the metal arm try to ease off the foam strip rather than damaging it.
When you extract the metal arm try to ease off the foam strip rather than damaging it.
Remove the 2 Tork screws from the bottom arm using a T25 screwdriver.
Remove the 2 Tork screws from the bottom arm using a T25 screwdriver.
The new hinge should come with a couple of foam pads. Remove the backing strip and stick each pad in place.
The new hinge should come with a couple of foam pads. Remove the backing strip and stick each pad in place.
Pull out the old hinge with a pair of pliers and a little persuasion.
Pull out the old hinge with a pair of pliers and a little persuasion.
Fit the new hinge.
Fit the new hinge.
The pack should also have two new replacement arms, however as you can see one of these was wrong – Thanks Citroen!
The pack should also have two new replacement arms, however as you can see one of these was wrong – Thanks Citroen!
Fit the new arms (or old one if the new one supplied is wrong) and insert the new Torx screws. Short in top arm, long in bottom arm. Stick the foam strip back on with a bit of evostick.
Fit the new arms (or old one if the new one supplied is wrong) and insert the new Torx screws. Short in top arm, long in bottom arm. Stick the foam strip back on with a bit of evostick.
My Name: micheldeman

Contributor
Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Many thanks for this article. Right hinge broke, but I ordered both hinges from citroen, costs 90+ gbp for both together for this piece of crap. If I would have been chief designer at citroen, I would have known beforehand that this roof would cause many troubles.
It was a bit hard to get the new hinge back in position as the window tends to slide down, so you need to push hard up to get the screw holes aligned. I first did the top hinge holder, then the lower one. The new lower long screws had a very small hex key hole, so I used the old lower screws instead.
It took me one hour to do both sides.
Good for another 10 years?
My Name: Jocklow

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 67000

How do you wind back the roof. It doesn't power back because the window doesn't lock into position. Can you wind it manually?
My Name: Chuck

Year: 2010 (10)
Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: NA

Hi screeminjesus

This is a brilliant detailed bit of information. I know it is some years old, but as one other guy asked, (but I could not see a reply), how can you get the roof open if the rear boot hinge has broken? I can close the boot, but the bottom left locking catch is not fully engaging. I am guessing for that reason the sensors won't let the roof open. If I cant open the roof I cant fix the hinge!

Any one any ideas?

Thanks
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Chuck wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:19 pm Hi screeminjesus

This is a brilliant detailed bit of information. I know it is some years old, but as one other guy asked, (but I could not see a reply), how can you get the roof open if the rear boot hinge has broken? I can close the boot, but the bottom left locking catch is not fully engaging. I am guessing for that reason the sensors won't let the roof open. If I cant open the roof I cant fix the hinge!

Any one any ideas?

Thanks
The is no reply because the question can't be answered 8-)

I don't think you can wind it back manually, the pluriel roof is not made for manual overide.

If you look at how the motors are used to drive the gear wheel that pulls the metal coil you can see how it could be done, maybe power the motors with a 12v supply and by pass all the control?

But you need access to the motors, at least. Or if you can find where the motors are powered from you can feed in a 12v there? I don't know where that is or even if you can get to it with the roof closed?

Can you fake signal the sensors that say the boot is closed when it's not? Its a switch of some type, all on a 12v system, either on or off. Can you trigger the switch manually, however it needs to be done?

If the gearing is shot, then it is impossible because there is nothing to drive.

The puriel roofs are not designed to be repaired. You mostly see whole roof replacements when they were once available. You do get people who have to go to great effort to strip the roof down and repair each of the broken parts. I think this is down to necessity.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi

Is it possible to manually manipulate the roof into the correct position when it has the broken hinge, just enough to trigger the sensor? I would expect you need two people for this job. One in the car on the control knob and one moving the roof enough to trigger the switch...
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)