1.2 puretech, multiple faults, Is it time to get rid of it?

Drop by the Citroen C3 Club and tell us what you like the best about your Citroen C3.

To Join the C3 Club, sign up for an account and post a picture of your C3 here! Add a few words about yourself, your car or your interests!

Citroen C3 Owners Club is UK based, but everyone is welcome to join!

No car problem questions here please
Forum rules
The Citroen C3 Club area! (Whats great about my Citroen C3)

All forum members are encouraged to add pictures of their C3 here. Questions are not to be posted here. You may only post questions HERE
My Name: C3puretech

Contributor
Model: C3 2013-2017 Facelift A51
Year: 2015 (15)
Engine Size: 1.2
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 101000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: ET3 16-valve (90 PS)

Hey forum admin and members
My car Citroen C3 1.2 puretech petrol 2015 having multiple issues

1. As I was driving to a colleague of mine today the ‘battery on low capacity, light came up and when I stopped the ‘power steering fault’ light appeared and the steering became super tight I was unable to get out of my colleagues driveway! 2 hours later recovery arrived and he checked and found the alternator issues. The volts were between 8-9 well below the standard..

2. I noticed since last Thursday (2days ago) as I was trying to park or manoeuvring the steering wheel making a screeching noise and a lot of knocking and clanking while driving over bumps or bad roads.

3. The car starts juddering (won’t stall) on cold start and specially when I tried to pull away. It will last 5-7 seconds and the car will drive fine. Also when I hit 30 or going slightly uphill I feel a very brief resistance of power. No high revs, no loss of typical mpg, no warning light on dashboard. Spark plugs changed on last service 14k miles ago..

I have owned this car since January 2020 and spent a fortune (literally!).. I have driven 98000 miles with 7 full service, 3 oil interval oil changes, new clutch, new catalytic converter, new o2 sensor. I really wanted to do 150k on this but now it seems like a far cry…

I’m expecting another £700-£1000 bill this Monday. Is it time to get rid of it? The car is giving me more trouble then my last 6 car combined (had bmw,Lexus,Honda)

I’m sorry for the long post just wanted to explain so you understand.
And I’ll greatly appreciate your reply…

Habib
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hello

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have bought a Friday afternoon car.

A classic Lemon.

These problems are not typical for the car so you may have picked up a cut and shut.

Yes, trade it in soon, before you have to spend any more money on it.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: C3puretech

Contributor
Model: C3 2013-2017 Facelift A51
Year: 2015 (15)
Engine Size: 1.2
Mileage: 101000
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: ET3 16-valve (90 PS)

Yes. It was a lemon ! Bought it £1000 cheaper then the market price from Scotland with only 21000 miles and now I’m paying the price!!

Anyway mechanic just called the car needs a new alternator and track rod ends.

And I need a full service and tyres soon .

I could have sell the car few months back but due to uncertain financial situation I kept it.
My Name: Ozvtr

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

The bad alternator will explain most of your troubles and the bad track rod ends will explain the rest.

The puretech engine is very delicate. I would get the mechanic to inspect the timing belt NOW!!! It can be inspected through the oil fill port. The back side (the non toothed side) needs to be smooth and intact (not de-laminated or flayed). Inspect the drained, used, oil for "fuzz" or fabric-like chunks.

I'm sorry for your troubles but if it's any consolation I know of no car manufacturer that produces decent reliable cars these days. The engines are fuel efficient but they are very flimsy! Lots of electronic toys that just break! Sewing up the I.P. so no one but them can fix it. Ironically, to cut cost, making some mechanical components simpler has actually made them more reliable!