replace the standard stereo with an aftermarket (with AUX)

Audio, ICE, Speakers, Head Unit, CD, CD Multi changer. If you have a question about any Citroen C3 related Audio, then this is the place.

Please indicate if there is a Citroen CD multi-changer, drawer or cubby under the CD/Radio, if there is the Navigation unit, CD or Radio options.
Forum rules
Only post questions about AUDIO equipment in this topic please. In car entertainment, ICE, Android Auto, stereo and sat-nav are all welcome here
My Name: ssnow66431

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2006 (06)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 3500
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

I'm getting my first Citroen on Friday however i would like to replace the standard stereo with an aftermarket one (probably a cheap £50 Sony one from Halfords with an AUX).

However i've heard that replacing a stereo on a C3 isn't a simple job, i'm not sure why or if this is actually true. How do i replace my car Stereo. I would also like to keep the function of the Steering Wheel Control and the Dash Screen, how would i do this.

Thanks for any advice
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

I would also like to keep the function of the Steering Wheel Control and the Dash Screen, how would i do this.
That would depend on which dashboard display you have. One with or one without buttons?

and you will need a stalk adaptor cable that is compatible with the C3 AND your new stereo, not knowing which stereo you are going to get makes it impossible to say exactly which adaptor, but have a look HERE to get an idea on what type of cable is involved.

Other than that, they all suffer from having to swap pin 4 and pin 7 over on the ISO power plug to get the aftermarket stereo to work correctly and allow the car to unlock with the fob in the morning :)

Choose the right adaptor so the C3 will unlock in the morning
Choose the right adaptor so the C3 will unlock in the morning
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

I am looking at the Sony CDX-GT450U (https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... _catalogId_).

Does that make it any easier to know what adaptor i will need.

And so is all i need to do is to swap the 4 and 7 wire over or is it more complicated than that.

I'm also not sure if my dash display has buttons or not, i won't be getting the car till Friday.

Guru

Hi ssnow66431,

Your 2006 C3 (its the facelift shape) should interface to a the Sony stereo as it is 'stalk adaptor compatible' but will require the this patch lead (from Amazon). - choose CTSSONY from the drop down list.

With this lead, I am not sure if pin4 and pin7 has already had the switch over, but if not you will find either the radio stations won't remember their programming overnight or the car won't unlock with the fob the next morning or both ;)

Without knowing which display you have fitted, its not possible to know if any more is needed. It has been suggested that the display can be 'downgraded' to become compatible if you have one without buttons. This has yet to be fully tested and investigated, but the theory is good :)

If you need to swap 4 and 7 over on the ISO power plug, you can cut and crimp the wires, this topic has some tips on crimping if you need to do some.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Do i still need the stalk adapter if i decide not to use it (it isn't an important feature to me).

Is all i need to do is swap Wire 4 and 7 over with the ISO Connector that comes with the new stereo.

I'm not bothered about the Dash Dispaly telling me about the radio station etc, all i want is to keep it as my clock etc.

Guru

Do i still need the stalk adapter if i decide not to use it (it isn't an important feature to me).
No, the buttons on the stalk won't do anything if you don't have the adaptor, but the radio will function just fine.

Is all i need to do is swap Wire 4 and 7 over with the ISO Connector that comes with the new stereo.
It depends if your new stereo comes with an ISO adaptor, if not you may need to buy a Sony to ISO lead (here) and swap the wires on pin 4 and pin 7 of the power plug part on that.

I'm not bothered about the Dash Display telling me about the radio station etc, all i want is to keep it as my clock etc.
No problem, the clock comes from within the dash display and not the radio, so that will be fine, but you may not be able to set the clock if your display has no buttons (but you may be able to fit a downgrade display).

I would miss my radio stalk controls if they ever stopped working.

Contributor

Thanks for your help, i won't know what my dash display is like until Friday (thats when i get the car :D)

And i probally woiuld miss it but i realised that i use my music through AUX off my phone and stalk controls don't usually control phone's.
My Name: jbz2079

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 75000
DPF: Yes
Engine name: BlueHDi (100 PS)

I have an Alpine head unit suitable for remote control from a stalk, after buying the wiring adaptor and the control box for the stalk and the patch lead to
the Alpine remote port, I found that you could no longer access the clock to reset the time, or the vehicle settings that are accessed through the standard head unit.
I put a query in to Autoleads technical but have heard nothing back from them.

I do plan to keep the standard head unit installed and mount the alpine under the original radio replacing the little tray.
The ignition switched lead for the radio and the permanent live for the radio memory are quite easy to set up.

But I want to steal the original speaker cables from the radio plug behind the standard radio and re-route those to the Alpine, still thinking of a neat way of doing this without mass butchery and crimp on terminals everywhere.

If I set it up as above I will not be able to use the stalk control as it will still be connected to the standard radio, I am nor really bothered about that.
I just want rid or the awful sounding, low output standard radio.

2007 1.4HDi Desire.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

jbz2079 wrote:I just want rid or the awful sounding, low output standard radio.
The clarion head units do have quite a good quality sound, but low on output as you say. The speakers get old and will need upgrading if you put a more powerful head unit in.

My solution was to keep the original head unit, replace 4 speakers for upgraded units and feed the output of clarion to a 4 channel amp.

Sounds plenty loud enough with great clarity and range and I get to keep stalk controls without buying an adaptor.

The factory speakers do degrade over time and its well worth changing them, and will need changing if you pump more power to them anyway. 4ch amp sits under the driver seat, taking a speaker level input (it has this feature built in) which makes things easier.

An amp with 'High-and low-level inputs' like this, Auna AB-450 Amplifier would do the job.

Citroen C3 Speaker sizes
My Name: jbz2079

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 75000
DPF: Yes
Engine name: BlueHDi (100 PS)

The Standard door speakers have already gone, they were replaced by the Pioneers adised in this forum in the front doors and a pair of Alpine 5" two ways in the back doors.
This has improved the sound up to a point but the standard fit Clarion rolls over and plays dead when asked to drive these at a decent level.
So I'm looking still at leaving the Clarion in the car in it's original slot and mounting the Alpine in the space under it where the tray is now.

I Will take the speaker leads from the Clarion and connect them to the Alpine and leave the power leads connected to the Clarion.
I already know how good the Alpine sounds in the car as it's been in and out three times now!
I like my clock and prefer to have the options that are only available through the standard radio.

When I get my coolant leak sorted!, I will post how this goes.