changing radio

Audio, ICE, Speakers, Head Unit, CD, CD Multi changer. If you have a question about any Citroen C3 related Audio, then this is the place.

Please indicate if there is a Citroen CD multi-changer, drawer or cubby under the CD/Radio, if there is the Navigation unit, CD or Radio options.
Forum rules
Only post questions about AUDIO equipment in this topic please. In car entertainment, ICE, Android Auto, stereo and sat-nav are all welcome here
My Name: C3Noob

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2006 (06)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: LX
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi Guys,
every car i have ever owned i have always put in my own stereo with usb / sd player or multi changer before that and never had any issues.

having read through the forum it seems by changing the stock radio in the C3 can cause many problems so im looking for suggestions on what people do rather than just having a radio or cd playing.
not looking to spend overly much on this but would really like to have something thats able to use usb / sd or even aux would be ok-ish.

the stereo thats in it this
c3radio.jpg
c3radio.jpg (19.68 KiB) Viewed 160 times
i would rather not cut wires as done this with my first car for a multi changer and got the wires the wrong way round and killed 2 batterys before figuring it out :roll: :lol:
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

C3Noob wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:26 pm Hi Guys,
every car i have ever owned i have always put in my own stereo with usb / sd player or multi changer before that and never had any issues.

having read through the forum it seems by changing the stock radio in the C3 can cause many problems so im looking for suggestions on what people do rather than just having a radio or cd playing.
not looking to spend overly much on this but would really like to have something thats able to use usb / sd or even aux would be ok-ish.

the stereo thats in it this
c3radio.jpg
i would rather not cut wires as done this with my first car for a multi changer and got the wires the wrong way round and killed 2 batterys before figuring it out :roll: :lol:
If you change the stock radio then you can't change the clock and a connects2 adaptor (extra cost) is required.

If you just want to get it working without cutting wires and having central locking problems but go without the adaptor, then just get the ISO leads or fakra connector you need for your new stereo.

You didn't include a picture of the rear, that is important because it shows the wires, its about the wires and not the buttons.

There are lots of the wire connectors available here (ebay) but pick one that has the right connectors. These will allow you to keep the central locking working, but you loose the radio buttons to change time.

Experienced Member

Thanks for the reply, if i do change the radio out can i reconnect it to sort the clock when needed or would i need the code for the radio or need recoonected to the computer like ive read in other posts or would i be able to just take out the new one, put back the old, fix the clock and put my new stereo back in?

one your other points got some pics today of the current radio
orig stereo1.jpg
orig stereo2.jpg
orig stereo3.jpg
and these pics of the stereo i want to put in as a stop gap until i get something better
New stereo1.jpg
New stereo2.jpg
New stereo3.jpg
cheers again for all help / advice guys
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

The radio is coded to the car VIN, so if you replace the original it will work and allow you to make your changes. In fact you could use a different radio of the same model, except that you couldn't use it as a radio without recoding as there will be a repeated beep. You would, of course need to change the radio without disconnecting the battery, which may not be the best idea.
My Name: Citroen-Driver

C3 Master
Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Mileage: 30000
Engine name: ET3 16-valve (90 PS)

Your original citroen radio has a 'fakra' - quadlock style connector,

Your 'new' radio has something different and it is missing the lead from the back of it to some other sockets (probably a pair of ISO sockets)

If you do have the lead that came with the NIKKAI radio and it has an ISO pair at one end (they usually do), then you will probably need one of these CT20CT02 adaptors (eBay) to match the NIKKAI lead to the Citroen C3 socket in the car.

Experienced Member

cheers for clearing that up routemaster1 so by replacing with another radio i am still able to swap back to change the clock twice yearly, would be fine and not too much hassle tbh
and by using a connect2 wire i would not lose any the display details or stalk usage then?

just to confirmCitroen-Driver the wire in the 2nd from bottom picture is the wire from the NIKKAI radio

C3 Master

C3Noob wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:09 pm

just to confirm Citroen-Driver the wire in the 2nd from bottom picture is the wire from the NIKKAI radio
New stereo for Citroen C3 facelift (CAN-CAN)
New stereo for Citroen C3 facelift (CAN-CAN)

Oh yeah, thanks :D

They are, as I guessed, ISO connectors, so that's all good.
C3Noob wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:09 pm and by using a connect2 wire i would not lose any the display details or stalk usage then?
Yes, if the NIKKAI stereo supports those features. Not all aftermarket stereos do.

Typically if the aftermarket has extra wires called KEY1 and KEY2 they will work with the Connects2 stalk interface and this also gives the clock control/replicates the old radio buttons.

C3 Master

If you want the FM to work you will also need a FM fakra to DIN converter if they are not included in any of the converter kits you get.

Experienced Member

Nice 1 cheers for the replies, less than £10 to get my old radio back is well worth it, if keeping the car long term after MOT etc ill look into something better but this will do for now as long as its not going to affect the display or locking etc