Aftermarket radio takes around a minute to turn off after ignition turned off

Audio, ICE, Speakers, Head Unit, CD, CD Multi changer. If you have a question about any Citroen C3 related Audio, then this is the place.

Please indicate if there is a Citroen CD multi-changer, drawer or cubby under the CD/Radio, if there is the Navigation unit, CD or Radio options.
Forum rules
Only post questions about AUDIO equipment in this topic please. In car entertainment, ICE, Android Auto, stereo and sat-nav are all welcome here
My Name: Dlaczegoznak

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't see this particular issue addressed anywhere - I've just swapped the factory radio for an aftermarket radio in my wife's 2004 (54) C3. I swapped the red and yellow wires around on the adaptor and everything works fine, the only issue is that the radio doesn't switch off at the same time as the ignition - it takes around a minute or so longer.

It seems to be connected to the dash display as both turn off at the same instant (and whenever the door is opened again both the dash and the radio come on again for around a minute). Once the car is locked and left it doesn't seem to come on again so it's not the end of the world, it just means that generally the sound needs to be turned off manually to avoid sound coming out for a few seconds after leaving the car, but it would be nice to sort it.

As the factory radio turned off with ignition I'm guessing there must be some information sent along the wires somewhere - any suggestions as to how this could be resolved?

Thanks,

Jonathan
My Name: Citroen-Driver

C3 Master
Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 30000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: ET3 16-valve (90 PS)

Dlaczegoznak wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:48 pm Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't see this particular issue addressed anywhere - I've just swapped the factory radio for an aftermarket radio in my wife's 2004 (54) C3. I swapped the red and yellow wires around on the adaptor and everything works fine, the only issue is that the radio doesn't switch off at the same time as the ignition - it takes around a minute or so longer.

It seems to be connected to the dash display as both turn off at the same instant (and whenever the door is opened again both the dash and the radio come on again for around a minute). Once the car is locked and left it doesn't seem to come on again so it's not the end of the world, it just means that generally the sound needs to be turned off manually to avoid sound coming out for a few seconds after leaving the car, but it would be nice to sort it.

As the factory radio turned off with ignition I'm guessing there must be some information sent along the wires somewhere - any suggestions as to how this could be resolved?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hello Jonathan

This seems correct. The computer (BSI) is controlling the stereo now.

On the factory Citroen C3 ISO power plug, PIN A7 is a permanent supply, which is incorrect for a aftermarket stereo that expects the permanent supply to be on A4, and A7 should be the 'ignition' wire.

On the C3 ISO power plug A4 is under computer control (BSI control) and the aftermarket stereo expects a permanent 12v supply from the battery for memory backup etc.

You have swapped A4 and A7, so the stereo gets a permanent supply and a BSI controlled supply, which is why the radio memory works, the central ,locking works and the BSI can switch the radio on and off.

If you want to give the control back to the stereo and have to switch the aftermarket 'off and on' with the power button on the radio then run another fused feed from the car battery to the stereo ISO Plug A (power), PIN A7, disconnect the C3 wiring from that PIN.

if you want the stereo to be under ignition control, run a feed to the stereo from say the cigarette lighter (that is under similar to ignition control) or find a suitable 'live with the ignition' and run that to the ISO Plug A (power), PIN A7, instead. Disconnect the C3 wiring from that PIN.

You may already have that adaptor to swap the red and yellow wires over, so disconnecting from the C3 factory loom and adding in a different feed should be quite simple.