Where to Drain Coolant on 2007 1.4i

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: Talldog1969

Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Good Afternoon
My daughter and me are trying too change the coolant on her 2007 1.4i petrol, auto C3.

We have the brilliant haines manual but it doesn't show us where too drain the coolant on her particular engine. (Image attached)

Does anyone know of any good videos or photos that would help us identify these parts?

All the best and thanks in advance 😊

Jason
Attachments
IMG_20210806_191651.jpg
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Talldog1969 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:41 am Good Afternoon
My daughter and me are trying too change the coolant on her 2007 1.4i petrol, auto C3.

We have the brilliant haines manual but it doesn't show us where too drain the coolant on her particular engine. (Image attached)

Does anyone know of any good videos or photos that would help us identify these parts?

All the best and thanks in advance 😊

Jason

Hello

I would disconnect the lower rad pipe and drain it from there. You may need a new clip, depends what is on there to get the pipe off.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Trim Level: Other
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

At the bottom of the radiator (about where the yellow arrow is pointing) there is a quick disconnect point for the lower hose.

I don't know what is in your engine as coolant, but I guess it would wise to treat it as glycol based. Glycol is poisonous and bad for the environment. It could just be water but you never know.

FYI that engine is a TU5JP4 1.6 litre engine. Makes no difference as far as coolant is concerned but I thought you should know.
IMG_20210806_191651.jpg
IMG_20210806_191651.jpg (57.14 KiB) Viewed 93 times
My Name: Talldog1969

Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Trim Level: VTR+

Thanks both for your replies, that sounds very straightforward.

When we come too refill with fresh coolant is it just a case of reconnecting the pipe that we drained the radiator from and the refilling via the expansion bottle?

I am wondering If after reading the Haines Manual I have been overthinking this?

Thanks again

Jason
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

When we come too refill with fresh coolant is it just a case of reconnecting the pipe that we drained the radiator from and the refilling via the expansion bottle?
Hello, the refilling instructions appear in this link tips on refilling the Citroen C3 coolant topic.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Trim Level: Other
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Talldog1969 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:46 am When we come too refill with fresh coolant is it just a case of reconnecting the pipe that we drained the radiator from and the refilling via the expansion bottle?
Unfortunately, no.
You should create a "header tank" to increase the pressure in the system and make it easier to expel excess air. Without it not much coolant or air will come out.
file.jpg
file.jpg (51.06 KiB) Viewed 82 times
There are two bleed points for the cooling system. One is at the firewall where the heater hoses go into the cabin.
bleeder 001.jpg
The other is on the thermostat housing. Its in the middle of the air filter box mount. It looks like an Allen key cheese head screw but it has a bleed hole in it.
bleeder 002.jpg
Reattach the bottom hose and fabricate the header tank. Remove the air filter box. Fill the header tank with coolant until the engine stops filling up. Remove the little cap on the heater hose on the fire wall. A frothy mixture of coolant and air will come out. Top up the header tank if required. Let the coolant come out until there are no more bubbles. Put the cap back on.
Unscrew the cheese head screw on the thermostat housing until a coolant/air mixture comes out and stop unscrewing (don't pull the screw all the way out). Top up the header tank if/when required. Bleed the system until only coolant comes out, screw the screw back in.
Siphon out the excess coolant from the header tank AND expansion tank down to the 'full' mark on the expansion tank. Replace the expansion tank cap.
For the next few (driving) days check the level of coolant in the expansion tank and top up if required.
Remember the coolant is poisonous and bad for the environment.