Various engine codes

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: romdut

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 75000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

I have a numberous error codes come up on my diagnostic scanner with engine light on and the need to press the throttle to start the car each time and it cuts out when slowing down
Error codes:
P0204 Injector circuit / open cyclinder
P0300 Random / multiple cyclinder / misfire detected
P1366 Crank / cam sensor range / performance

Any ideas for any of the above would be great. I have attached pictures of the faults
Citroen C3 P1336
Citroen C3 P1336
Citroen C3 P0300
Citroen C3 P0300
Citroen C3 P0204
Citroen C3 P0204
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

romdut wrote:I have a numberous error codes come up on my diagnostic scanner with engine light on and the need to press the throttle to start the car each time and it cuts out when slowing down
Error codes:
P0204 Injector circuit / open cyclinder
P0300 Random / multiple cyclinder / misfire detected
P1366 Crank / cam sensor range / performance
Hi romdut

Check you don't have the leaking washer jet that can drip on one of the injectors and causes injector codes

petrol-c3/leaking-washer-jets-causes-da ... -t584.html

Also take a look at (by disconnecting the plug and looking) the crank sensor. You may not have a cam sensor, but if you do, check the connection by removing and replacing the plug.

Does the car have recent plugs, new coil pack and injector wiring checked?

Contributor

I have checked the washer jets - no leaks
unable to find the cam sensor
I am booked into a garage 2moro for further examination so will have to go from there
Thanks for the help though
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

romdut wrote:I have checked the washer jets - no leaks
unable to find the cam sensor
I am booked into a garage 2moro for further examination so will have to go from there
Thanks for the help though
There probably is no cam sensor for your engine if you can't find it. Cam signal is taken from the injector signal in tat case.

Crank sensor will be present.

Look for faulty or poor injector wiring.

It will be interesting to hear what the garage has to say.

Contributor

I had the car diagnostic at a local garage today and there got the same error codes as I did cost me £40 for the scan
He said he looked at the injectors and number 4 looks older than the others so asked if I had changed them or do i know when there were done last
I have had the car for 1 year and haven't touch them
I asked can you sort it and if so how much - he said he will have to take them all out and change them around and check each one to elimate the cyclinder or to occur the fault is the injector itself
the price was £450 (four hundred and fifty) to sort it and the car off the road for 2 weeks. I said i will have to sleep on it

I have a mobile mechanic come round 2moro afternon and wait to hear there story. the car was MOT'd elsewhere on friday just gone and that's when the issue's started
to occur when i went to collect it and it died on me for the first time. Also the brakes were faulty so there stripped and cleaned them, as I drove off there grinded
all the way home, went out saturday morning and the grinding then banging noise's where louder so i stopped at a local garage and the assembly fell apart on the floor after removing the
back wheel cost me £599.82 to get the brakes done and the mot work was £223 which included new brake pipes and handbrake adjusted (the only bit there did right)

At the moment i'm at my wigs end what to do as i have spend so much on it over the year and now this - there is still the sump to change as it has stone chips in it, the charcoal solarnid
and clutch overall the work is gonna be around £1000 to correct it all. If i get rid of the car i risk buying another money pit if i keep it then it's what is next.

Citroen C3 Diagnostic Report
Citroen C3 Diagnostic Report

Guru

romdut wrote:At the moment i'm at my wigs end what to do
If it was me, I would do this:
romdut wrote:he said he will have to take them all out and change them around and check each one to elimate the cyclinder or to occur the fault is the injector itself
And it would cost me only time until I find the bad injector, then I would get another injector, or find the bad connector on the injector or find its not an injector or the injector loom. Then it would be coil pack, plugs and those things that cause misfires.
The cost of a replacement injector is not too much from ebay - here. He has given you the secret on how to go looking for the problem.

He said he looked at the injectors and number 4 looks older than the others so asked if I had changed them or do i know when there were done last
I see what he may be thinking.
romdut wrote:Also the brakes were faulty so there stripped and cleaned them, as I drove off there grinded
all the way home, went out saturday morning and the grinding then banging noise's where louder so i stopped at a local garage and the assembly fell apart on the floor after removing the
back wheel cost me £599.82 to get the brakes done and the mot work was £223 which included new brake pipes and handbrake adjusted (the only bit there did right)
I would suggest to anyone else reading that if your brakes had work on them and now they grind and bang, I would avoid driving any further until they have been inspected :(
romdut wrote:there is still the sump to change as it has stone chips in it
Why change the sump? Does it leak?
romdut wrote:he charcoal solarnid and clutch
Clutch is quite labour intensive which bumps up the price, is the clutch slipping?
romdut wrote: mot work was £223 which included new brake pipes
Are these the flexy pipes or the metal ones?
romdut wrote:the work is gonna be around £1000 to correct it all. If i get rid of the car i risk buying another money pit if i keep it then it's what is next.
:(

Contributor

Is it possible to clean the injectors, have heard you can with carbutteror spray
he ignition coil pack is new - bought and fitted it myself around december time
the plugs were changed in august 1 month after i got the car along with oil , filter, air filter , pollen filter(all august 2015

Guru

romdut wrote:Is it possible to clean the injectors, have heard you can with carbutteror spray
he ignition coil pack is new - bought and fitted it myself around december time
the plugs were changed in august 1 month after i got the car along with oil , filter, air filter , pollen filter(all august 2015
If the injector is partially blocked and giving a poor spray pattern due to deposits then you can clean it with some redex injector cleaner in the tank, a double or triple dose may be beneficial and is usually the first thing to try. Then if then they are still poor its going to be due to damage or a bad connector or loom and then no cleaning of the fuel path will make any difference.

If you can pin down a faulty injector in a petrol C3, I would just change it.

So you got the plugs and coil pack, it means you can focus on the injector and its connector and loom.

Contributor

I have half a tank at the moment (6 bars is full
I put some red ex fuel injector cleaner in on 5 bars on friday evening a small 250ml bottle
If i can sort the shaking out on the car when applying the throttle uphill i could use the car more safely

Guru

romdut wrote:I have half a tank at the moment (6 bars is full
I put some red ex fuel injector cleaner in on 5 bars on friday evening a small 250ml bottle
If i can sort the shaking out on the car when applying the throttle uphill i could use the car more safely
The reason the MIL (engine management light) comes on is to let you know that there is something wrong that could be causing higher emissions or engine damage. Be careful if the running is that bad it could be damaging the cat (catalytic converter).

Hopefully the redex will clean a dirty injector :)

If you swap injector 4 into injector 3 position does the P0204 disappear and a P0203 appear in its place?