Turbocharging a 06 plate 1.1i

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: JedC3

Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 99000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU1 (60 PS)

I have a 2006 petrol 1.1L.
Would it be possible to turbocharge the engine and if so would be it be worth it?

I am a little fed up with the performance and considering methods to speed up my tiny French animal.

I am not very knowledgable with Citroens but the engine bay seems spacious enough for a small/medium turbo. I'm guessing because the engine wasn't built to be turbo'd it though, so it wouldn't be smart, hence why I cannot find any documentation on this kind of conversion.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

JedC3 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:39 pm I have a 2006 petrol 1.1L.
Would it be possible to turbocharge the engine and if so would be it be worth it?

I am a little fed up with the performance and considering methods to speed up my tiny French animal.

I am not very knowledgable with Citroens but the engine bay seems spacious enough for a small/medium turbo. I'm guessing because the engine wasn't built to be turbo'd it though, so it wouldn't be smart, hence why I cannot find any documentation on this kind of conversion.
Hi

I don't think it will be worth the time and money on such an old car.

Adding extra power will put stress on the old engine parts, that were never designed for the power and will more likely fail sooner.

I would suggest just trading in the 1.1 and buying one with more power, say the 1.6, 16v?

The 1.1 engines are good for learners and people with poor insurance history/no history. You can get a good price for the 1.1 by selling to the beginners.

The bigger engines develop more power and the cars have the upgraded vented brakes and the transmission (gearbox) fitted is designed for the higher engine power. You will get a better overall experience with a car designed from the ground up for the better engine power output. You also get to choose the specifications you want, not just the engine.
My Name: Ozvtr

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I second that.

While the old saying goes; "Anything is possible given enough time and money", you would need to throw a lot of money at it to get it to work. In the very least it would require an after market engine ECU and tuning. Not to mention the cost of the hardware.

I own a 1.4 C3 and a 1.6 C2. The 1.4 I consider a 4 wheel mo-ped! Good on fuel but absolutely no power! So I would hate to think what the 1.1 is like. The 1.6 is the ABSOLUTELY smallest capacity that I would ever recommend to anyone. The only good things about the 1.1 and 1.4 (they are basically the same engine) is that they are VERY simple and VERY easy to work on.

If you like the little C3 then keep your eye out for a 1.6 petrol version. If you don't care, just get a car with a bigger engine capacity.