radiator fan coming on more frequently than before

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: dsteeley

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 60000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hello everyone this is my first post. I have a C3 Desire 07 plate, 1.4 petrol, 60000 mls, regularly serviced by main dealer. My radiator fan very rarely comes on except occasionally when in traffic congestion on a hot day. However, for the last month or so it has been coming on quite often, more so when I am moving rather than in a jam. Some times, for instance, I can hear it when approaching a traffic island but it turns off as I slow down. This is also an intermittent thing as some days it doesn't come on at all. My journeys are often no more than 30 miles and I get no warnings or indications that the engine may be overheating. There is no temperature gauge on this model so cannot check it that way either. Coolant level in expansion tank is ok but I do sometimes have add a small amount every couple of months to top it up from min to max . I'm wondering if it could be a fault with the temperature sensor and/or thermostat. Any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Dave
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.
dsteeley wrote:Coolent level in expansion tank is ok but I do sometimes have add a small amount every couple of months to top it up from min to max .
The system should be sealed and I have never needed to 'top-up' between coolant changes - every 5 years or so.. You must be loosing coolant to somewhere because you have to replace it.

What do you 'top-up' with?

I would imagine you have a leak and there may be air in the system which could give you these strange cooling symptoms.
dsteeley wrote:I'm wondering if it could be a fault with the temperature sensor and/or thermostat. Any advice would be welcome.
It could be, it may be worth doing the sensor (sensors?), thermostat and flush and refill the cooling system and replace the part that is leaking in one job (after the leak has been identified).

Some engines have 2 sensors, one for the fan/ECU and the other for the dashboard display light/gauge. There are several different sensors fitted, so be careful to pick the right ones. Euro Car Parts (click here) have a handy 'look up by reg number' section on their site.
My Name: dsteeley

Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 60000
Trim Level: Desire

Hi, thanks for the reply. I top up with OAT coolant dilution. I also have an 09 citroen xsara Picasso and have never had to top the coolant up. I have tried looking for leaks but none are apparent, no liquid inside engine bay or around hose fittings nor have there been any damp patches under car. I have not seen any slime on surface of coolant in expansion tank that might indicate head gasket fault either. I suspect that the coolant that is being lost is as steam when engine is hot. However, the coolant has needed topping up for several years but the radiator fan coming on is a recent development so I suspect sensor (no display on dash in this model) or thermostat. I can use the car several times per week and the fan does not come on at all (as normal) but on some similar journeys it will, so it really is intermittent, which makes me thing thermostat may be sticking on some of these occasions but fully opening most of the time.

many thanks for your reply

Dave
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Those tiny leaks don't leave any wet patches, I have seen a tiny leak, smaller than a pin prick only leak when the system is up to pressure. Its tricky to find these if they are not obvious when the engine is hot though.