Pluriel petrol engine coolant flow problem

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: GMG0049

Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2009 (59)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi All,

New to the forum and need some help, Re a C3 Pluriel coolant flow problem

Coolant dash board lamp came on the other week, turned heating on in cab and cracked on, light went out. Fast forward a few weeks warning lamp is permanently on and shows all signs of a failed thermostat.

Thermostat changed, failed to fix issue, coolant pump changed, radiator changed, timing belt and pump changed, head skimmed and head gasket changed.

Issue still remains and it would appear that the coolant is not flowing around the system despite bleeding the system several times. Small pipe coming out of the top of the radiator returning to the expansion bottle has no coolant in it and it would appear to me despite cold bleeding then hot bleeding the system, the coolant will not flow.

Pipes would appear to be clear, has anyone else had issue bleeding the coolant on the 1.4 8v petrol engine???????

Am i missing something????? Am i stupid????? cos this has me beat!!!!

please help,

thanks in advance

Gmg0049
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

GMG0049 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:57 pm Hi All,

Coolant dash board lamp came on the other week, turned heating on in cab and cracked on, light went out. Fast forward a few weeks warning lamp is permanently on and shows all signs of a failed thermostat.

Thermostat changed, failed to fix issue, coolant pump changed, radiator changed, timing belt and pump changed, head skimmed and head gasket changed.

Issue still remains and it would appear that the coolant is not flowing around the system despite bleeding the system several times. Small pipe coming out of the top of the radiator returning to the expansion bottle has no coolant in it and it would appear to me despite cold bleeding then hot bleeding the system, the coolant will not flow.

Pipes would appear to be clear, has anyone else had issue bleeding the coolant on the 1.4 8v petrol engine???????

please help,

thanks in advance

Gmg0049
Hello Gmg0049

I wouldn't do any work on the cooling system with only a dashboard warning. The first thing would be to check the warning is valid and that the sensor is not misreporting.

If the timing belt is due then also change the waterpump, the idler and the tensioner.

Don't remove the head and replace the head gasket without identifying a failed head gasket. Use this cheap test kit in the first instance for proof and to limit unnecessary expense and downtime.

You refill the C3 cooling system with a header tank to minimise the air lock problem, it's all in this 'Citroen C3 Coolant' topic.

The small gauge pipe that comes out of the radiator and feeds back into the header tank is not found on all models, so a picture may help to identify it, but the one in this picture is the self-bleeding pipe and not a coolant return pipe.

Citroen C3 coolant self bleeding pipe.
Citroen C3 coolant self bleeding pipe.

The coolant doesn't flow around the header tank.
My Name: GMG0049

Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2009 (59)
Trim Level: VTR+

C3CAR wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:28 pm
GMG0049 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:57 pm Hi All,

please help,

thanks in advance

Gmg0049
Hello Gmg0049

I wouldn't do any work on the cooling system with only a dashboard warning. The first thing would be to check the warning is valid and that the sensor is not misreporting.

If the timing belt is due then also change the waterpump, the idler and the tensioner.

Don't remove the head and replace the head gasket without identifying a failed head gasket. Use this cheap test kit in the first instance for proof and to limit unnecessary expense and downtime.

You refill the C3 cooling system with a header tank to minimise the air lock problem, it's all in this 'Citroen C3 Coolant' topic.

The small gauge pipe that comes out of the radiator and feeds back into the header tank is not found on all models, so a picture may help to identify it, but the one in this picture is the self-bleeding pipe and not a coolant return pipe.

C3_coolant-bleed-pipe.jpg

The coolant doesn't flow around the header tank.
Hi Thanks for the reply,

All the above work has been carried out, the overheat warning lamp is coming on, the fan is kicking in, but i cannot tell if the coolant is flowing around the system????? Ho can i tell if the sensor is faulty or if in fact the sensor is reading ok??? I have removed the thermostat inners and i am running the engine without it at present. This has allowed the top rad pipe and the bottom rad pipe to heat up, however the warning light is still on.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

GMG0049 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:26 pm Hi Thanks for the reply,

All the above work has been carried out, the overheat warning lamp is coming on, the fan is kicking in, but i cannot tell if the coolant is flowing around the system????? Ho can i tell if the sensor is faulty or if in fact the sensor is reading ok??? I have removed the thermostat inners and i am running the engine without it at present. This has allowed the top rad pipe and the bottom rad pipe to heat up, however the warning light is still on.
It can often be quicker and easier to swap the sensor with a know working one. They are relatively inexpensive.

Some engines have two sensors, one for the dashboard display and the other for the engine ECU system that controls fuelling and the engine cooling fan. Then the ones with two sensors can be fitted with different types, so it would be best to check the reg no on Euro Car Parts for the right part, if that doesn't help, PM me the VIN and I can find which one(s) you have fitted.

I don't thing you are going to have a problem with coolant flowing around the system, best to put the thermostat back in when you partial drain down for the sensor swap. Then refill with the header routine.
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

A simple way to check is to see if the cooling fan turns off.
Without the air con running or other sorts of electrical loads like the lights and the car up to temperature, the thermo fan should cut in and out every 5 minutes or so. The timing is not important but the thermo fan should cut out.
If all your coolant remains in the cooling system (not leaking out somewhere) the only other things that cause true overheating are a damaged water pump or blocked radiator. Under extreme conditions it's possible for the pump fins to be eaten away and the radiator can be blocked by calcium build up the cooling tubes.