Overheating

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: epic

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 180000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD

can someone please help me. My citroen C3 started overheating. i replaced the head twice. again it overheated. the thermostat was replaced, again, the censor was replaced, again the water bottle was replaced. now once again its overheating... but only if its a rainy day. what els could be wrong. and also the engine is relatively cool.

Citroen C3, petrol, 1.4 2004, 180 000 km on clock
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi epic, welcome to the forum
epic wrote:My citroen C3 started overheating.
What were the symptoms of your overheating?

epic wrote:i replaced the head twice. again it overheated. the thermostat was replaced, again, the censor was replaced, again the water bottle was replaced. now once again its overheating...
You must have had some serious problems to replace the head twice :(
epic wrote: now once again its overheating... but only if its a rainy day.
Does the engine actually overheat - does it get too hot? or are you just talking about the temperature gauge on the dashboard?
epic wrote:what els could be wrong.
A faulty reading of the temperature could make you believe the engine is too hot when its not, faulty fuelling can lead to too much fuel burning which raises the actual engine temperature causing it to overheat.

I would read any codes with a cheap OBD2 reader from eBay or, better still hook up a lexia clone tool to the diagnostic port and read which codes you have.

The codes will lead you to look at particular parts of the engine which you can further test or diagnose.

I would also measure the temperature of the coolant hoses with a strip - like this one ebay to determine if its actually getting hotter than it should or just reading higher than it should.

epic wrote:but only if its a rainy day.
leaking washer jets cause damage to injector. If you get injector codes from your OBD read, check the washer jets as shown in the link ;)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: mcles00

Contributor
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 150000
Trim Level: Touch
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

did you check if water is mixing with oil in your engine? if your water bottle is losing water fast you may have problem inside motor with joints or colasse, or maybe the fan is not working well...