Oil change?

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: meddyliol

I have just purchased a 2008 (58) C3 1.4i Exclusive petrol with 10,500 miles on the clock. The maintenance book states that the first service was completed on 22 Jan 2011 and the next service on 26 Apr 2012. I checked the oil and it doesn't appear to have been changed recently. I know that the service interval is supposed to be two years or 20,000 miles but would it be worth having an interim oil and filter change now? The oil doesn't look dirty but not fresh either. I am used to having oil and filter changed every year so this interval is new to me.

Thanks

Brian
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the citroen c3 forum meddyliol
would it be worth having an interim oil and filter change now?
Additional/interim/extra oil and filter changes never did an engine any damage, but skipping changes, using the incorrect or sub standard oil can lead to more rapid engine wear.

The down side of an interim oil and filter change is the extra cost and the environmental impact of disposing of the spent filter and oil.

The first oil change should be 10k (miles), then subsequent oil changes at 20k. BUT if the car is used in 'severe operating conditions' then that 20k drops to 12k.

Citroen suggest that 'severe operating conditions' would include repeated short journeys, use mainly in town, use of non-approved oil......

Approved oil is Total 7000 10W40 (here) for all except DPF (FAP) - needs C2 Low saps (here) and 16v diesels without FAP/DPF (here).

The onboard computer can give you the miles left till next service, assuming its been reset.
and this is how you reset it after the oil change.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: meddyliol

Thanks for that. I am not sure how to access the miles left till next service info.

Ta

Brian
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Brian.

For a 2008 model:

The 'miles to next service' is displayed in place of the total mileage travelled 'odometer' when you first switch on the ignition.

Look at the dash display,
Switch on the ignition
The display will scroll through the readings:

Observe the 'miles to next service' (which times out)
Observe oil ok, or flashing oil or oil-- (which times out)
Observe 'total miles travelled'

Switch off the ignition (or start the car)

The 'miles to next service' needs to be reset on each service.

'oil ok' indicates the oil level is acceptable
flashing 'oil' indicates low oil level
'oil --' is a fault

On early models with a different display the OIL level is replaced by a row of squares, indicating the quantity of oil in the sump. Flashing MAX and 6 square is too much oil, flashing MIN and 6 dashes is below minimum, Flashing 6 dashes is a fault.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)