help with diagnostic code readings P0157 and P0170

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: genealogist

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 98500
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Flappy paddles
DPF: No

Citreon owners: what repairs would be involved with P0157 and P0170 diagnostic readings citroen c3 sx 04 automatic, please?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum genealogist,
Citreon owners: what repairs would be involved with P0157 and P0170 diagnostic readings citroen c3 sx 04 automatic, please?
Unfortunately error codes like the ones you have given above don't work in the way you seem to expect.

The codes you give can be used with the symptoms the car is having to identify an area that needs inspecting and testing.

What trouble are you having with the car that lead you to have these codes read?

With a bit some history and the symptoms it my be possible to point you in a direction to investigate further :)

P0157 is an O2 sensor code, and P0170 is a Fuel Trim Malfunction code.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

Arfur Dent wrote:P0157 is an O2 sensor code, and P0170 is a Fuel Trim Malfunction code.
genealogist wrote:P0157 and P0170 diagnostic readings citroen c3 sx 04 automatic, please?

Check the O2 sensors with a scope, check the signal changes as you would expect. It could be a faulty O2 or Lambda sensor, faulty wiring to the sensor, or some other problem with the fuel metering and emission control system that could cause these 2 codes. I would expect a problem with fuel consumption or poor running (or both) if you have this and the codes don't clear or they return quickly.

P0157 - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2) Sensor 2 is the one after the cat.
Sensor 2 (after the cat) O2 sensor and Sensor 1 (before the cat) O2 sensor on eBay.

Thank you for your comments. My car is a Citroen C3 SX automatic year 04 bought in February this year. I already have had to call the AA out, buy a new battery and a new starter motor. Last week the engine warning light came on and bleeps once as I start to drive. Last evening the local ATS garage did a diagnostics test referred to earlier. They found P0157 and P0170 and said one was a faulty brake sensor which doesn't seem to match the list of code explanations I managed to find via Google. I don't do repairs myself being an OAP but as researching is my hobby, and in my nature, I like to be clued-up and sure of the facts before paying for repairs.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

They found P0157 and P0170 and said one was a faulty brake sensor which doesn't seem to match the list of code explanations I managed to find via Google.
Yes, this happens quite often for manufacturer specific codes. The solution is linked to below :)
I don't do repairs myself being an OAP but as researching is my hobby, and in my nature, I like to be clued-up and sure of the facts before paying for repairs.
If you have access to a laptop, then the link below, to the tips section on the subject of 'lexia' could be right up your street.

https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t655.html

The lexia tool referred to is the citroen specific diagnostc tool, that will not just read the codes, but give you the correct description based on the exact car the system is connect to at the time.

This way you get all the codes (not just those that can be read by generic readers), but also the ever important description, which can then point you in the right direction and get an understanding of what the garage will (or should) charge.

thanks so much for your suggestions/explanations. Until this morning I had great difficulty using this site. It kept blocking me from reading, writing or searching posts. Hopefully they have it sorted now. It would be helpful if they had supplied a 'help' button or 'contact' link. Anyway I am currently reading up on Lexia. And will consider it. Thanks again.