having trouble identifying the engine after timing belt failure

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: ronniemc

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (61)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 63000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi All,

Sorry to take up your time. My daughter has a C3 VTR+ 1.4 on a 61 plate (63,000 miles). The timing belt failed unexpectedly at low speed yesterday. She's a keyworker and I need to get her mobile again ASAP. When the belt went she simply lost power and came to a halt - no noises which I'm taking as a good sign (always the optimist).

I'm having trouble identifying the engine. The VIN code says it is a KFT engine but the websites I've tried come up N/A for engine type. Couple of the parts websites are suggesting it is a TU3 engine and superficially it looks similar to a photo someone kindly posted on here. Can anyone confirm please.

I have seen suggestions that it may be ok to replace the timing belt and (if the engine turns over ok manually) to go for a start. What would you recommend? I don't want to make things worse if there is valve stem damage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ronnie
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

ronniemc wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:20 pm Hi All,

Sorry to take up your time. My daughter has a C3 VTR+ 1.4 on a 61 plate (63,000 miles). The timing belt failed unexpectedly at low speed yesterday. She's a keyworker and I need to get her mobile again ASAP. When the belt went she simply lost power and came to a halt - no noises which I'm taking as a good sign (always the optimist).

I'm having trouble identifying the engine. The VIN code says it is a KFT engine but the websites I've tried come up N/A for engine type. Couple of the parts websites are suggesting it is a TU3 engine and superficially it looks similar to a photo someone kindly posted on here. Can anyone confirm please.

I have seen suggestions that it may be ok to replace the timing belt and (if the engine turns over ok manually) to go for a start. What would you recommend? I don't want to make things worse if there is valve stem damage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ronnie
Hi

Can you post the VIN to be sure?

There are two petrol engines of significance on the early C3, the 8v and the 16v. But I am not sure what changes on the later 61 plates.

You won't do any more damage, other than putting a good belt on a damaged engine.

If valves are bent, they are bent.

Guru

VIN...
The VIN comes back as TU3AE5

TU3 engine as you thought :)

Thank you. Any tips on realigning pulleys?

Guru

ronniemc wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:40 pm Thank you. Any tips on realigning pulleys?
Use the factory timing locking points.

There is a lot of information about these on the TU3 engine in the haynes manual

The belt is 0816.F2
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD

There are dozens of how-to's on the TU3 engines on Youtube.
I did a tutorial here:

tips-for-a-petrol-powered-c3-f7/how-to- ... t3868.html

You will need to make sure none of the pistons are at TDC before attempting to move the cam shaft sprocket. Most if not all the how-to's deal with changing the cam belt. So they assume the cam shaft and crank shaft are in alignment...yours wont be!!
The cam shaft will settle in one of 4 (I think) positions where valve springs are at minimum compression. At this point some of the valves will be slightly open. I DO NOT KNOW IF THESE VALVES WILL CONTACT THE TOPS OF THE PISTONS WHEN THE CRANK SHAFT IS TURNED!
You then need to turn the crank shaft until you can "pin" it in accordance with the above tutorial. Turn the crank clock wise. If you meet some sort of resistance that is probably one of the pistons contacting one of the valves! At this point you will need to remove the head.
If you can pin the crank shaft, remove the pin and turn the crank a further 90'. This will put all pistons at bottom dead center and free of the valves. Rotate the cam shaft sprocket to line up the hole in the sprocket with the hole in the head and pin it. Then rotate the crankshaft 90' ANTI-CLOCKWISE (counter-clockwise), back to the position where you can pin the crankshaft. The cam shaft and crank shaft are now in alignment.
Normally under these circumstances the cylinder head would be removed and the piston crowns and the valve would be inspected.
Unfortunately the odds are against you. Sorry.

Thank you for the very thorough reply. As a result I decided to heed your warning and take the head off. I'm glad I did! All inlet valves were bent.