Engine cooling fan

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: Minotaurc3

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 140389
Trim Level: SX
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Good morning all, recently overhauled the head on the C3 due to blown head gasket. Done all the usual things like replace the timing belt, water pump and flushed the cooling system an filled with new coolant.

The only item I cannot fathom out is that the engine cooling fan will not cut in. I am not sure how to test the fan or test the parts so that I can eliminate them prior to fitting a new fan. have checked the fuses in the engine fuse box (all ok) and can detect a 12v feed to the fan. Still cannot get it to run.

Can someone help me with the diagnostic side (using multi meter voltages etc). The Haynes manual is a bit short of this type of thing.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Minotaurc3 wrote:Good morning all, recently overhauled the head on the C3 due to blown head gasket. Done all the usual things like replace the timing belt, water pump and flushed the cooling system an filled with new coolant.

The only item I cannot fathom out is that the engine cooling fan will not cut in. I am not sure how to test the fan or test the parts so that I can eliminate them prior to fitting a new fan. have checked the fuses in the engine fuse box (all ok) and can detect a 12v feed to the fan. Still cannot get it to run.

Can someone help me with the diagnostic side (using multi meter voltages etc). The Haynes manual is a bit short of this type of thing.
Hi,

There are several different fan system and control systems on the C3.

I would go for the easy stuff first, check the engine cooling system temperature sensor is working, but also that the system is fully bled so the sensor is in contact with the coolant. You may have 2 sensors (some engines do), one for the dash and the other engine ECU.

Cooling bleeding and refilling on the C3 citroen-c3-tips/citroen-c3-coolant-t40.html

If you have more than 2 wires on the fan, you have ECU control of the fan and a permanent 12v supply.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Hi, thanks for that. Have drained the coolant yet again to fit a new thermostat. It helped but did not get the fan to kick in. That said having read said subject on the forum, and before I fit a new fan, will look at the resistor?? I am informed that it is behind the n/s headlight?

I have two sensors. The one on the top is for the dash and it works fine. The one for the head temp/ecu I am not so sure about. I do not know how to test it to prove it works. Have to connections on the fan so it is an ECU controlled fan and the supply checks out.

Ran the car (40 miles I work for a garage) for its MOT and it stayed at three bars constantly there and back. I am a bit stuck, other than the resistor, as to where to look next. Any ideas how to test the fan??

Adieu
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire

Hello Minotaurc3

Reading your first post, when do you think your fan should be working that it isn't.

Thinking about our C3, the fan very rarely comes on, the last time was when the thermostat stuck and the temperature went into the red. The thermostat opened and then the fan started.

I can't remember any other occasion hearing the fan on.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Hi,

The fan has on occasion cut in, but, to be honest I cannot remember the last time. Even when the heads gasket failed the fan never cut in. I would expect the fan to cut in whilst sat in traffic to stop the engine overheating.

If what you say is true will leave it for now and monitor it. Will come back to it at a later date.

Thankyou for the info