Changing cambelt and possibly valves.

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: flowergirl

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 70000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

First can I say it's great to have finally found a forum to help me with my C3 which I named Morris :) . Unfortunately Morris has a problem after some teeth on the cambelt stripped. I have been told I will have valve damage. He is a 54 plate 1.4l 8v. I have purchased a haynes manual and me and my son are going to have a go at it. Unfortunately I have no choice due to costs involved which I just can't afford. I have the cambelt kit with a tensioner and a water pump. My problem now is that I have to turn the crankshaft to locate a locking hole. It says its in the front left hand flange and locate it in the timing hole in the rear of the flywhhel/drive plate. There are pictures which are so close up that they make no sense as to their location. Is anybody able to offer some advice, better pics etc. I don't want to have to let morris go. Do you also think the valves will need changing. Any help whatsoever that can be offered would be appreciated. Thankyou. J
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

flowergirl wrote:First can I say it's great to have finally found a forum to help me with my C3 which I named Morris :) . Unfortunately Morris has a problem after some teeth on the cambelt stripped. I have been told I will have valve damage. He is a 54 plate 1.4l 8v. I have purchased a haynes manual and me and my son are going to have a go at it. Unfortunately I have no choice due to costs involved which I just can't afford. I have the cambelt kit with a tensioner and a water pump. My problem now is that I have to turn the crankshaft to locate a locking hole. It says its in the front left hand flange and locate it in the timing hole in the rear of the flywhhel/drive plate. There are pictures which are so close up that they make no sense as to their location. Is anybody able to offer some advice, better pics etc. I don't want to have to let morris go. Do you also think the valves will need changing. Any help whatsoever that can be offered would be appreciated. Thankyou. J
Hi Flowergirl.

You may be ok and not have to do valves. You cheapest route would be to fit the cam belt and run the engine. If its ok, got power, good compression can be tested, then you can get away not doing the valves and a job saved.

But if the compression is bad, then remove and keep the cam belt, do the valves and head gasket then refit your new cam belt.

You can get a discount on head gaskets and C3 parts by following this link to Euro Car Parts and use the discount code C3OWNER :)

You can pick up a new compression tester cheaply from this link to ebay (click this link) and its can save an expense of new head gasket and all that time.

flowergirl wrote:My problem now is that I have to turn the crankshaft to locate a locking hole. It says its in the front left hand flange and locate it in the timing hole in the rear of the flywhhel/drive plate.
Its where the manual says it is, but I don't have a picture for the petrol. The diesel is similar but the hole is accesses from under the car after removing a section of exhaust pipe.

You will need to look around the edge of the cylinder block flange and go poking with a small screwdriver to find the hole which would go through to the fly wheel. A torch may help?

You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Thankyou Arfur Dent. MyBrother (not son as in previous post. Bit strange explaining to someone that at 25 I have a 22 year old son :lol: ) has found 2 holes next to the oil filter. Not quite figured out which of the 2 it is due to weather turning against us yesterday. Thankyou also for the europarts coupon code. My brother works nearer a europarts dealer so super chuffed. :D . Just wish my brother was a car mechanic and not a Volvo construction engineer :( . Really appreciate your response. Hope we can now get Morris up and running again so I can share a few picture of him.

Not sure if anyone can help. We have set the timing as in the book. Found the hole for the flywheel and lined it up and put a drillbit in to hold it in postion. Lined up the camshaft via the hole and put a bolt in ther also. We have put the cambelt on and adjusted the tension. Removed the drill bit and bolt and turned the camshaft by hand to make sure nothing caught. Tried to start it and nothing. Engine turns but doesn't start :cry: . Set it up twice and still nothing :cry: . Am I missing something or is this a sign of valve damage. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Don't want to lose Morris. Getting really worried and desperate now :? . Jodie.

Guru

flowergirl wrote:Not sure if anyone can help. We have set the timing as in the book. Found the hole for the flywheel and lined it up and put a drillbit in to hold it in postion. Lined up the camshaft via the hole and put a bolt in ther also. We have put the cambelt on and adjusted the tension. Removed the drill bit and bolt and turned the camshaft by hand to make sure nothing caught.
Well, you need to turn the engine in the correct direction a few time to set the tensioner? Its well worth following the instructions that came with the kit.
flowergirl wrote:Tried to start it and nothing. Engine turns but doesn't start :cry: . Set it up twice and still nothing :cry: . Am I missing something or is this a sign of valve damage.
Check the compression or remove the cam cover (if you can) and look to see if the valvse go up and down like they should as you turn the starter. A bent valve won't close properly. The cleanest way will be to do the compression test and is quite cheap anyway and is easier for a beginner.
flowergirl wrote: Getting really worried and desperate now :? . Jodie.
This was only the first stage in trying to do as little work and cost as possible. Do the compression test and report back, but expect bent valves and its going to be head off - still 'doable' and not expensive for parts, only time ;)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Thankyou once again arfur dent (great name by the way :D ). My mothers got hold of a solid towing bar , so my brothers taking Morris into work where they have all the tools to work on it. Nice warm workshop as well. Have already ordered the head gasket, exhaust and inlet valves and valve stem oil seals from europarts so as to take advantage of the easter 20% reduction. I can take back anything thats not used. I'll get back to you and let you know how things get on. Thanks again for kindly taking the time to help me out. Jodie

Guru

flowergirl wrote:Thankyou once again arfur dent (great name by the way :D ). My mothers got hold of a solid towing bar , so my brothers taking Morris into work where they have all the tools to work on it. Nice warm workshop as well. Have already ordered the head gasket, exhaust and inlet valves and valve stem oil seals from europarts so as to take advantage of the easter 20% reduction. I can take back anything thats not used. I'll get back to you and let you know how things get on. Thanks again for kindly taking the time to help me out. Jodie
Yes, an update would be nice, thanks.

A picture of Morris would be nice too :)