Blown 30A fuse for injectors.

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: norman060957

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: SX
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hello
Yesterday as I was driving, my engine cut out and would not restart. I got towed home so I could check it out. I had 8 fault codes. The first related to the the injectors. I was lucky because I checked my fuses under the bonnet and found a blown 30A fuse. I replaced it then tried to start the engine. It started straight away. Today I went to start my car and same thing happened, crank but no start. Fuse has blown again. Anyone know why this would happen? All advice would be greatly appreciated.
Norman new user
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD

There is an intermittent short in the injector circuit.
The usual suspects are the wiring harness or an injector.
If you have the early model C3, water can get under the wind screen washer nozzle and drip on the #4 fuel injector. The #4 injector is on the far left as you are looking into the engine bay from the front.

A topic on the washer here

How to change the injectors here

Oh, welcome to the site.

Hello
Thank you very much for your reply. That sounds good I will have a check today. I did notice that there was a lot of oil on my spark plug in same location as well, so i will check that again also.
Thanks again.

What are the other fault codes?

Is the oil dribbling down from the rocker cover gasket? If the level gets too high it may cause misfires as the spark jumps across the oil instead of the plug gap. There are spacers under the rocker cover that prevent the cover from being tightened down. If it's leaking you will need to replace the gasket as tightening the cover retaining nuts will do nothing.

P0351
P0352
P0201
P0202
P0203
PO204
P0135
P0444
I don't know how the oil got there but I replaced the rocker cover gasket same day. I cleaned the area but it was after that when the fuse started to blow. I think I must have a broken wire somewhere.

P0351 and P0352 are to do with the coil pack. There are 2 circuits in the coil pack and there is one 'P' fault for each circuit.
P0201 thru to P0204 are faults for each of the 4 injectors.
Ok, so most of your faults are from the 30A fuse blowing. The coil pack and injectors are on the same circuit. So when the fuse blew both the coil pack and the injectors went off-line. The engine ECU could no longer 'read' the coil pack or injectors so it logged faults.
In this case it's possible your coil pack might be defective. I don't think so though. The fuse is on the primary (low voltage side) of the coil pack and usually you would get misfires on the secondary side before the coil pack broke down altogether. But you cant dismiss it as a possibility. Has the engine been hesitating or misfiring?
There are no misfire codes so I assume the engine runs fine until the fuse blows?
The P0135 fault is the upstream oxygen sensor heater circuit. This is the sensor that sits on top of the exhaust manifold and the engine ECU uses to regulate the fuel mixture. It's not unusual for the heater circuits to blow. It won't effect the performance of the engine but it will bring on the engine light. Both heater circuits run from the same fuse, so if there is no fault on the downstream heater circuit then it's not the heater circuit fuse. The heater is only there to speed up the reaction time of a cold sensor. A minute or so after starting the engine, it has no use.
P0444 is an evap fault. The evap system prevents unburnt fuel vapors from leaking into the atmosphere. The only part of the evap system that the engine ECU can monitor is the purge valve. It's the rust brown coloured valve that sits on top of the engine on the drivers side. The engine ECU can only monitor if the valve is electrically open circuit or there is no power to it. Check the connector, the wiring and the fuse. If they are all Ok, the valve might be burnt out. Again not a critical component but they are cheap and easy to replace.

Thanks
I wish I had your knowledge. You have been a great help. Can not do much today. Heavens have opened up here. Battery totally dead this morning 7.7 vaults. That's why I think there is a broken wire earthing out somewhere. Have to order a tester that locates the break. I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks again.

Hello
I noticed that the Alternator Capacitor Car Radio Interference Suppressor 2.2uf was broken so I replaced it. Car started straight away. Let it run for 15 mins and it was OK. Could that have been why the fuse was blowing? I'm baffled.
Thanks again for all your help
😊😊😊😊😊

norman060957 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:08 pm Hello
I noticed that the Alternator Capacitor Car Radio Interference Suppressor 2.2uf was broken so I replaced it. Car started straight away. Let it run for 15 mins and it was OK. Could that have been why the fuse was blowing? I'm baffled.
Thanks again for all your help
😊😊😊😊😊
Where is the capacitor and how is it "broken"? Is it in the ignition circuit (the 30A circuit)?
I have been thinking about it and I think its a wiring problem. 30Amps is a lot of current. It's unlikely the coil or injectors are shorted to ground (by their construction) and a short circuit in one of the components would expose the engine ECU to the 30A surge...I don't think it would survive. So that leaves a power wire in that circuit shorting to ground.
I would check both looms for points of contact with the metal parts of the engine/chassis.
There is one loom that runs across the top of the ignition coil and one on the back of the inlet manifold. Both join together at the back of the engine and go across the top of the gearbox to the battery box, into the engine ECU and to the BSM (the fuse box). Look for rubbing and damage to the looms.