1.0 (2015) engine swap (to a bigger engine?)

Questions specifically about a Petrol powered Citroen C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems).
Forum rules
One question per topic.
Petrol engine related faults, like injectors, error codes, overheating.
You can post more topics if necessary, but only one question per topic.
My Name: mega_stihl

Model: C3 2013-2017 Facelift A51
Year: 2015 (15)
Engine Size: I dont know
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Greetings

I am new to this forum, and yes, I will not lie about it, I made this account/topic because I could use some advice and input on this issue. My neighbour has a Citroën C3 (SC) from 2015, 1.0 petrol engine. His engine suddenly gave up, and the Citroën dealer recently diagnosed the engine to be a total loss. I haven't seen the car yet as it still needs to be towed from the citroën dealer to my place.

I used to be a mechanic for living until half a decade ago, but I still work on cars at home. I mainly work on oldschool BMW's up until the E46/E90, and I have the knowledge, experience and software to do engine swaps on such cars.

The thing is that my neighbour asked me to swap in another engine into his car. Ofcourse I said I wanted to give it a shot. The engine swap itself is probably the easy part. In and out and be done with it, if it's exactly the same engine. But my question is: Can I swap in a bigger engine, lets say a 1.4? I have no software for citroën and have no experience with their electronics at all. I do know that BMW often use the same ECU and this simply needs to be flashed. Can I use another engine into this C3 and still use the same ECU? If I use another ECU that came with the donor car, can I simply swap this over plug & play and for example let citroën do the coding? Or is it best to keep it simple and swap in the exact same engine?

I very much appreciate any input.

Kind regards
My Name: Ozvtr

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

In the very least you will need to change the engine ECU.
There is no grantee the connectors and wire configuration, to the car, are compatible.
If you change the engine ECU you will need to have the BSI reprogrammed with the engine ECU's new security code. You will need to obtain the engine ECU security code.
The ECU must come from the same type of gearbox (auto/manual) as the subject car. For less hassle (but not mandatory) it should come from the same model. ECUs from some other models of cars might work but LEXIA will whinge that the ECU is wrong.
IF that engine was not available for that model, LEXIA might not configure it. You might be able to fudge it by telling LExIA it's a different car (like a PEUGEOT) but not guaranteed.
My Name: mega_stihl

Model: C3 2013-2017 Facelift A51
Year: 2015 (15)
Engine Size: I dont know
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

many thanks for your reply!