won't start, P1207, P0002 and P0089

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: JoniDrive

Contributor

Hi all, new here as u can see and new to Citroens.

First few days of owning the car were great. I got into a situation, I had to put my foot down the other day and during this I lost power and engine management light came on. The car still drove for a few days but has now failed to start. I have bumped it and it ran but its gotten worse. Now i've had the diagnostics codes read but I need help to find out how to fix the issues. I'm not a technical person but I can do basic -moderate repairs. I don't have any specials tools either so please bear this in mind :)

3 codes came up on the test

p1207 Fuel pressure regulation electrovalve Short circuit to -

P0002 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Range/Performance

P0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Performance

I don't no were to start with this problem please help
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum JoniDrive

p1207 Fuel pressure regulation electrovalve Short circuit to -

P0002 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Range/Performance

P0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Performance

i dont no were to start with this problem please help
There could well be an electrical problem, like some damaged wiring or similar because 'P1207 Fuel pressure regulation electrovalve Short circuit to negative' (could be a short to earth of the fuel pressure regulation electrovalve wire). You could start with a good visual inspection of the High Pressure pump and its associated wiring. You will need to remove things like the air filter to see it.

Which engine do you have, how many valves, which year is the car, how many miles and is the the old 2002 shape or the facelift 2006 shape?

i dont have any specials tools either
If you are going to invest in *any* special tool, my suggestion is to get Lexia for windows which is the hardware part of the Citroen diagnostic code reader. You will need a laptop to install the software on. This will give you more specific Citroen descriptions for the codes you have, and you can run the diagnostics over and over without having to pay someone each time to use their machine to read the codes.

Read-up about installing and using lexia/diagbox in this topic

oh, and number 2 special tool has to be The Haynes manual for Diesel C3 models.

Guru

This is the high pressure fuel pump for the common rail in a 16v Citroen C3, its located at the cambelt end near the bulkhead
citroen c3 high pressure fuel pump regulator
citroen c3 high pressure fuel pump regulator
The high pressure fuel is controlled by the high pressure fuel regulator, which is referenced by your P1207 description.

Contributor

Thanks for the reply it is the 1.4hdi 2005 16 v 157k miles not sure if its faclift but im guessing it isnt due to looking like the 2002 models

Contributor

I can't see this I think mine is different I have added a photo
is this it?
is this it?

Guru

Yes, this looks good.

Its the thing driven by the cam belt, and had connections for fuel delivery and supply with some plugs and sockets for the control and feedback.

Check the plugs and sockets on this, then check all the wiring back to the ecu. Well, that's what I would do for starters.
Then re-read the codes, delete them, run it around (if it runs) and check for codes again - hence the usefulness of having lexia to hand.

The 2005 HDI will also talk to a cheap OBD2 reader - like this one on Amazon but its not as fully loaded as the lexia.

Contributor

I have had a look nothing vissable looks out of place the conecter inside looks clean and the clips are intact
im pressuming my main goal here to to sort the p1207 problem as this is probable causing the other codes to come up am I THINKing in the right direction ?

Guru

I have had a look nothing visable looks out of place the connector inside looks clean and the clips are intact
The fault refers to the whole wiring circuit all the way to the ECU and can include the sensor itself, or something else. I would inspect the whole circuit for chaffing/shorting/damage/etc all the way back to the ECU.
im presuming my main goal here to to sort the p1207 problem
You will probably find they are all connected and caused by the same thing. I picked p1207 because the description is very clear and its much easier to inspect for 'a short to negative' than to measure the 'Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Performance', which would then lead you to check the wiring, then change the unit anyway.

Its just a step-by-step methodical and least-cost method of fault finding; Check the easy stuff, only change expensive parts when all the cheap stuff has been checked.

I think the fault 'p1207 ' (short to negative) indicates a poorly performing circuit, with degraded outputs, not necessarily a short to negative, but not far off. Once the wiring - the whole circuit - has been checked and found to be ok, then the next thing to check is the injection pump, and you don't really want to do that. ;)

Contributor

well called a machanic up to came help me sort the car he checked the wiring and said there is no fault there so i went and got a new fuel pressure reg for the car and he fitted said unit ... no joy car failed to start he plugged his machine in and the codes are no longer there but it is saying that the fuel pressure was exceeded he suggests a fuel pressure test but he does not have the equipment and said probably only main dealer will be able to due to the cost of equipment and how rare it is needed any suggestions? main dealer have said to run a check on the car it will be £45 but could raise as these are known to be tricky to fault find :( i allso have to get the car to them
somehow
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

JoniDrive wrote:any suggestions?
Hi JoniDrive, I suggest you get Lexia for Citroen, make a record of any codes stored by lexia and then delete each code, one by one. When all the codes are deleted, try to start again. Then check for codes again, this will give you only the latest, freshest codes to work from.
JoniDrive wrote:so i went and got a new fuel pressure reg for the car and he fitted said unit ... no joy car failed to start
Were each of the codes cleared before trying to start the engine?
JoniDrive wrote:he plugged his machine in and the codes are no longer there but it is saying that the fuel pressure was exceeded
Was the 'fuel pressure exceeded' linked to a code? - without this information its very difficult to make any recommendations, but having the correct diagnostic codes and descriptions will help. Its a bit of a contradiction to say 'codes are no longer there but it is saying that the fuel pressure was exceeded' which just makes things confusing.
main dealer have said to run a check on the car it will be £45
This is very cheap, I think main dealer will connect their version of the lexia tool and read the codes for £45. Don't expect much else :(