won't start or even turn over anymore

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: misselle

Hope someone can advise me before I spend a lot if money I don't have taking it to the dealers.

Not sure if it’s related to why it wont start but best to start at the top. Last week my 2002 C3 HDI front windscreen wipes just stopped working so checked the fuse and it was fine so decided it must either be the motor or electrics being the problem.

Other than that the car was working fine until last night. Hadn't used the car in a few days due to being sick but went to use it last night and I couldn't get it to start. The dash would light up, headlights and radio came on and I could hear it clicking when I turned the key but it wasn’t turning over. I tried a couple more times and it got to the point when the dash would light but turning the key did nothing at all. I noticed that my clock had been reset so thought I'd try jump start the car to rule out the starter but it wouldn't even jump start.

I checked the wires connected to the battery and couldnt find any that were lose and I can think of no reason why the battery would be flat at all.

I don't live in a massive place so its going to mean getting the car towed around 20 miles to the nearest auto electrician.

Any suggestions on anything I can try myself or to what might be the cause before I go to the expenses of towing it?

Thanks
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the Citroen C3 Owners forum misselle
Not sure if it’s related to why it wont start but best to start at the top. Last week my 2002 C3 HDI front windscreen wipes just stopped working so checked the fuse and it was fine so decided it must either be the motor or electrics being the problem.
Fuses to check for the wipers are:
F4 (20A)
F7 (16A)
F14 (15A) and
F11 (15A)
All on the BSI

Then,
F8 (20A)
F14 (10A) and
F17(30A)
Are all under the bonnet

Citroen C3 Fuse Box Locations (with pictures) -click here

If the fuses are OK, then its probably BSI or COM2000, but that's another post.
I could hear it clicking when I turned the key but it wasn’t turning over.
Clicking is 99.9% of the time "Flat Battery". If you had a cold snap (freezing weather) overnight, this is all it takes to push a battery that worked OK but was getting old to one that powers the radio and lights but can only click the solenoid.
I'd try jump start the car to rule out the starter but it wouldn't even jump start.
Well, Jump starting can be a real pain. Faulty jump leads, bad earth points to connect to, computers frying or misbehaving.

Best to avoid jump starting.

One important point to note when Jump Starting (Boosting) a Citroen C3 is to NOT connect Black wire to the battery negative! On the C3 that is being started, connect the BLACK cable to a good earth point away from the battery.
This is to help protect the BSI Computer and electronics from damage

To get the car going,

My choice of action would be:

Remove the battery and Charge it up, if it won't charge then:

have it tested or just buy a new one if the existing battery is a good few years old:

This link (click) will help you find the battery that will fit your C3. You can click and collect or have it delivered.

Sort the battery and (if) it gets started drive it somewhere where they can test the alternator output for you BEFORE anywhere else.

If the battery checks out OK after a good charge up, and didn't die from cold, then the alternator may be at fault and not charging the battery correctly. Its well worth checking the alternator output ASAP, otherwise you can flatten the battery again (batteries don't like that at all).

Both over charging and undercharging by the alternator will give you starting problems as the battery get damaged / not charged by a faulty alternator / alternator drive belt.

As for loose leads, they don't need to be very loose and waggling around to cause problems with starting.
But I would really focus hard on that battery

Citroen C3 2002 HDi Battery:
Citroen C3 1.4 2002 Hdi Bosch Battery. 5 Year Warranty

To Charge a car battery you will need one of these:

Car Battery Charger 12V with Free Delivery

Some De-Ionised water is always useful to have to hand. Even Maintenance Free batteries need a drink occasionally!
De-Ionised Water 1L - Delivered

Please post your progress so we can offer more advice as needed
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)