What oil level should i keep? 'all the bars where blinking'

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Stefco_

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 56000
Trim Level: Rhythm
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

Hi to all,

I'm new to this forum and new to my French diesel. I'm having a bit of a confusing situation with my C3, I really need your help. The case is this, I have a 1.4 HDI 8V C3 which recently had change oil and filters. The oil level was 5 out of 6 bars full then my mechanic sad these engines need full oil level so he filled it more and this caused over filling all the bars where blinking on the dashboard oil gauge. Then i had the oiled vacuum a bit to come to the previous state ( 5 out of 6 ). What oil level should i keep?

My car has only 90.000km on full synthetic Total oil if it means anything.

Regards,
Stefan
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum Stefan
Stefco_ wrote:What oil level should i keep?
There are 2 ways to measure the oil level on the C3 diesel. The most reliable way is with a cool engine, parked on level ground, pop the bonnet and pull out the dip stick. The dip stick oil level should read between the minimum and maximum marks for a correct oil level. It may be worth wiping the stick with a clean cloth, reinserting the stick fully and re-reading the level. This way you get 2 readings and they should both be the same. This is an ideal way to check the level when the oil has been renewed at service time.

Dip Stick:
Dip stick for a Citroen C3 HDi oil level
Dip stick for a Citroen C3 HDi oil level
C3Driver52 wrote: Image
There are 2 marks on the dipstick:
- A = max; never exceed this level (risk of damage to the engine),
- B = min; top up the level via the oil filler cap, using the grade of oil suited to your engine.
petrol-citroen-c3/engine-and-coolant-t1212.html

The second way is to look on the dashboard display. The engine needs to be cool, and the car on level ground. The display will only be accurate with a cool engine on level ground. The level should be between one and five marks. This is ideal for a daily check.
Stefco_ wrote:The oil level was 5 out of 6 bars full then my mechanic sad these engines need full oil level so he filled it more and this caused over filling all the bars where blinking on the dashboard oil gauge.
The engine needs oil, at least the minimum but no more than the maximum.

The reason there is a minimum and a maximum is you are supposed to fill it to maximum when the oil is renewed and over the life of the oil, if the oil is burned, there is a reserve - all the way down to the minimum.

Dashboard showing oil level:
Oil level indicator on the dashboard of a Citroen C3 'oooooo'
Oil level indicator on the dashboard of a Citroen C3 'oooooo'
The dashboard ones flash quite often because they only work correctly if the car is level and the engine cool.

Stefco_ wrote:full synthetic Total oil if it means anything.
A very good choice of oil for the C3 diesel. :D

An easy way to get the right oil level at service time is to drain the warm engine oil, remove and replace the filter. Then add exactly 3.8L of your Total Fully Synthetic engine oil (available here), which is the right amount to take the level to the maximum.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Stefco_

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 56000
Trim Level: Rhythm
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

Thank you so much for the extremely well done informations. I've got taken to school I guess :D

Thanks again!
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Stefco_ wrote:Thank you so much for the extremely well done informations. I've got taken to school I guess :D

Thanks again!
Thank you. I am happy you have found it useful :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)