unstable under acceleration

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: SonOfAnarchy ZA

Experienced Member

Morning guys so another problem has presented itself it seems when i am under heavy acceleration mainly gears 2 to 4 3rd being the worst, the front end of the car shakes from left to right as if my front tires are loose :? the car is fine cruising at 120km/h its only under acceleration anyone have any idea what it is? I have jacked the car up on either side to see if the wheels have any play on them and dont feel anything :cry:

Citroen C3 2006
1.4HDi 8v
140000km
My Name: Missing Lincs

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hello SonOfAnarchy ZA

From your question, this is a new fault?

Assuming so, and that you don't have any lights on the dash for traction control faults, I'd be looking at wheel balancing (check for any new bumps, dents etc on the rims), wheel alignment, then wear/movement in the suspension bushes and track rod ends.

A quick check of the shock absorbers would also be an idea, a simple push down on each corner and check that the car settles in about 1-1.5 oscillations. A failed shocker will make tyre grip erratic especially under acceleration.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: jakasi2

Contributor
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 44000
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

A relative of mine had a similar problem. The thing was the front axel/half-axel. The car was serviced and when they put it on the lift rack they misaligned the supports and bent the axel. The shaking started arround 60km/h ~ 40 mph. The car was not Citroen but Škoda. It might be worth investigating if the car was serviced recently and this is the first time you were driving it faster. My relative's Škoda did not shake at speeds bellow 60km/h - 40mph - town speeds.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

If not a mechanical drive problem, how about a fuel injection problem? One of the injectors not delivering maximum fuel when instructed causing an imbalance in the engine running.

Not sure if a leak off test would help identify the fault?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

nice out the box thinking but i dont think so the car isnt down on power at all really feels like a suspension or cv issue :(
My Name: Huxley309

Experienced Member
Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 67000

Worn wishbone bushes, my 309 would wander if you put your foot down or lifted off, it would feel like a hard pull to one side.
Worn arb bushes can have a similar effect, they're cheap and a doddle to change.

Guru

Huxley309 wrote:Worn wishbone bushes, my 309 would wander if you put your foot down or lifted off, it would feel like a hard pull to one side.
Worn arb bushes can have a similar effect, they're cheap and a doddle to change.
These red things?

The anti rollbar bush on a Citroen C3 marked in red.

https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t687.html
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Huxley309

Experienced Member
Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 67000

Yup should be a 17mm bolt holding it.
A reasonably sized wrench can get inside, just prize off the bush with a screwdriver.

Experienced Member

i had a look at that bush it seems to be worn so will replace it

Guru

SonOfAnarchy ZA wrote:i had a look at that bush it seems to be worn so will replace it
Its best to do both, one on each side. It keeps the suspension balanced. If one is worn, you can be quite confident that the other is getting worn too :)