Temperature lights stay on

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: damionh

First, can i say what a great site this is, i was looking to fix a few problems and low and behold , most seem to be here (water in headlamps, buzzing rear door lock)

I was just wondering if someone may know what could possibly be wrong with my temperature gauge.

The gauge on the left hand side of my dash (photo not of mine, from a library, but same setup) sporadically shows all the lights and beeps, This can happen when the gauge is on one, two or three lights (out of the six), three being the optimal temp I think. It generally stays on for a few seconds then goes off.
dash.jpg
Car is C3 1.4 HDi Exclusive

Cheers
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the citroen c3 forum damionh,

I suggest you check and top up the coolant level if necessary.

All the lights on the temperature and a beep could be due to the coolant level low sensor triggering.

Check this post for the right stuff to put in the cooling system
Citroen C3 Coolants
Let us know how you get on. :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Jadoremavoiture

Hi there,

Odd that this has happened to you as well.

This happened to mine and an inital diagnostics showed up nothing. The fault carried on with no problems ever arising so I just assumed that she was having hot flushes.

Anyway I sent mine in for another problem and the garage said that this temperature sensor was faulty and replaced it for me. Problem solved.

Hope this helps.

SJ
My Name: bill sutton

Experienced Member

I have a related problem in that, when starting my engine from cold, the top red light flashes as if to say, you're out of water, but I'm not!! so I start the engine and drive half a mile and then it decides I do have water after all, and goes out. Any Ideas?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

Can you see (by visual inspection) that the coolant covers the level sensor probes when the engine is cold (don't check when its hot). It sounds like the level is a touch below the sensor, but as it warms up and expands enough to trip the sensor.

Sometimes, on older cars the reservoir is stained making it impossible to see the actual level without removing the cap.

Other than that, maybe the sensor is faulty and only works when its warm?
Citroen C3 Coolant Level
Citroen C3 Coolant Level

Experienced Member

Like I said, the level is fine, on the max mark, it just senses a lack of coolant when cold, could it be oil contamination following a cracked oil cooler, it was quite messy
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

could it be oil contamination following a cracked oil cooler, it was quite messy
I have never had a cracked oil cooler, thankfully. The sensor is in the header tank, it looks quite easy to remove for a good clean up. If there is oil in the coolant then it may get dirty again pretty soon though. It could be that as the oil and water mix heats up, the sensor contacts are cleansed. As the mix cools down, the sensor is again coated with a thin film of oil giving this error. Just a guess, but sounds good :D

Experienced Member

Interestingly, (according to Dara O'Briens' science club!) the brain uses fat to prevent the neurones from interfering and isolates them from one anther in a largely water based environment, as demonstrated by my expansion tank ;)
My Name: Taity

Hi I have the same problem but my temp light just
Stay on full all the time and no beeping the car isn't
Over heating but just wonting to no if anyone nos
How to fit this thanks
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

Hello Taity, welcome to the forum.
Taity wrote:Over heating but just wonting to no if anyone nos
How to fit this thanks
The solution for Jadoremavoiture was
Jadoremavoiture wrote:Anyway I sent mine in for another problem and the gaarge said that the temperature sensor was faulty and replaced it for me. Problem solved.
Yours may be the same fault, you can't be sure but a new sensor isn't much money. Try clicking the link to the Euro Car Parts website for the part (enter the vehicle reg in the search box on the site to find the right part for your car). If you need to top up the coolant level, this post may provide some useful information.

If you need to know how to fit it, I will need to know which year car, which shape and which engine is fitted to your car.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)