temperature gauge.

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: jayjay

Contributor

Hi and thanks.
I believe, that somehow the guy I bought it from disabled a permanently running fan. By removing a relay or disconnecting/cutting a wire or something. I've checked the wiring as best I can but can see no other obvious signs.
the only other thing I can add is that when I got it, the blower motor for the heater was also not working. A mate replaced the resistor for that motor and now the blower works fine.

I'm currently looking into getting a garage to retro fit a fan. My mate has kindly volunteered to look into it. Either thermostat controlled or I'd even go for a hard wire with a button on the dash.

It can only be luck that it hasn't overheated so far. It drives fine with zero signs of overheating. It wouldn't surprise me if the guy has removed the thermostat.
but anyway, if I get chance I'll upload some photos of this retro fit that my mate will do. He's no expert but ain't too bad at this type of thing. It might help others and or give us helpful pointers whilst we do it. That would be very handy.
Many thanks.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

I'm currently looking into getting a garage to retro fit a fan. My mate has kindly volunteered to look into it. Either thermostat controlled or I'd even go for a hard wire with a button on the dash.
You could try one of these kenlowe temperature controlled fan sensor found on eBay.

Its a doddle to fit and switches the fan output dependant on coolant temperature (via the independent sensor).

I have fitted exactly this type of sensor/controller (not on a C3) and its very easy and bypasses the cars temperature sensor to bring in the fan.

You could then fit an after-market fan, like the universal fan found on ebay or wire it up to the existing fan, if that works ok. Its already pre-wired and your friendly auto electrician guy will thank you for making it a simple job :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: jayjay

Contributor

Many thanks again arfur.
I do believe that is the kit my mate was looking at last night. He tried to power up my old fan yesterday with 12 volts running through it but it wouldn't power up. He's gonna do the same today with the one I got from the scrappy. It's possible that it to is knackered. I'm unsure if Iwwill fork out the best part of over 200 quid for a dedicated one from euro car parts or remain on this route of a retro fit fan set up.

But either way first we need to get a direct 12 volts running through this newer fan to see what we got.
Many thanks
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

He's gonna do the same today with the one I got from the scrappy. It's possible that it to is knackered.
There are quite a few different fans fitted to c3s, some may take a bit more than just a 12v to get it running. Look for a second connector with thin wires, if you have one of these attached to the fan, that is something to do with the variable speed.

Not all of the fans have these extra wires, so just 12v will be good enough for the 2 wire ones.
My Name: Ray62

Contributor
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: SX

Hi guys
Name is Raymond I am from Malta . I too have a C3 Hdi 16v with the same problems. I have noticed that if you turn ignition back on after you have just switched the engine off you get a temp reading in my case 3 lights.
I have replaced the sensor with no change .
As for the fan do you know whete the fuse is located?

Thanks