tapping noise from lower engine ??????help

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: jonnyww88

Contributor

hi am new to this av just bought a 2003(52first shape) c3 1.4hdi 8v and had it for 2 days and its developed a tapping noise from the lower engine(i say lower becuase i canot hear it if im standing above the engine bay with the bonnet up but i can hear it clearly if i look under the car) it does not get faster when i rev the car it goes quieter but more or less stays the same speed no mater wat the revs are the car still drives great still got power im thinking it could be some kind of engine mount or sumthing not to sure if any 1 has got any sugestions as to what it might be would be much appriciated as its really anoying now and i dont want to drive it till i know whats up with it thanks for any help or sugestions ..

Contributor

i have been doing abit of reading an think it could possibly be a crankshaft pulley has anyone had problems like this before and how hard is it to change ???

it sounds exactly the same as the tapping on the link
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I would have thought that the crank shaft pulley (attached to the crank shaft) would vary in speed of rotation with change of engine speed, and you would hear the noise speed up with increased engine RPM.

There is a link to the same noise Citroen C3 2002 1.4 HDI engine makes loud 'ticking noise'

Changing the crankshaft pulley is pretty straightforward.
You can get the part from Euro Car Parts by clicking (this link)
Remove the axillary belt, lock off the pulley, remove the bolt holding the pulley onto the crankshaft.
Refit the new pulley with a measure of Loctite Threadlock (here) on the crank pulley bolt.
Refit the axillary belt.

It will also pay to change the Auxiliary Drive Belt while you are there.

a C3 Haynes Manual (Amazon)is very useful for these sorts of jobs on the C3.

Contributor

yes i would agree with you but the sound is more or less identicle to the sound on the link and he said it was the crankshaft pully on his video do you have any other sugestions to what it could be i could not acces the link you put on your reply thanks for the help!!
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Sorry about the link, its fixed now, but you may have already seen it.

The problem is: engine related parts vary their sound with varying engine revs. - more revs, more noise or more frequent noise.

Drive train noises vary with road speed and not engine speed.

Engine mounts make a noise on changing speed or changing gear.

So, you see the problem, its unlikely to be engine related if the noise doesn't get more frequent with more engine revolutions. I would double check that the noise actually does vary with RPM before changing the crankshaft pulley. Unfortunately vass didn't say what went wrong with the pulley to make this noise.

You could try removing the accessory/serpentine belt. By removing this temporarily and running the engine, it can help narrow down the cause of the noise. Removing the belt takes the crank pulley, alternator and air conditioning compressor out of the equation, if you still get the noise with the belt removed, its not the 3 things listed.

Contributor

my car is making the same noise as the car on the link and he ses his problem was the crankshaft pulley so i think it will be the same problem with my car i did notice before that the noise does change with variations on the revs it gets quieter and harder to here the higher the revs its loudest at idle speed i need to get it to the garage but scared to drive it!!
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi jonnyww88

Don't be afraid to drive it to the garage. Although your first stop should be the garage, its going to drive like this for 100s of miles. As it gets worse, you may do damage to other parts of the car, but it won't get worse just driving to the garage.

Let us know how you get on, how the garage treated you and what it all cost :)

Contributor

I'm going to try what c3driver52 sugests and take the aux belt of an see if the noise is there when I run it as I cannot get to the garage till tomoro anyway I shuld be able to tell if its the crank pulley if it is I will fix myself but if this isn't the problem I'll be going the garage thanks for all the sugestions and help I will let you know the outcome tomoro

Contributor

I've had a mechanic friend of mine out to have a look he has confirmed it is the crankshaft pulley so getting a new one fitted tomoro and the problem shud be solved so fingers crossed I'll let you all know the outcome

Contributor

all fixed done and dusted it was the crankshaft pulley it cost 70 including labour took him 15 mins car runs like it shud no horrible tapping noises happy days