Replacing coolant hose

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Markjd

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 105000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi all I've gotta replace the coolant hose st the rear of the engine. Has anyone done this job, it's the big plastic spider like one.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Markjd wrote:Hi all I've gotta replace the coolant hose st the rear of the engine. Has anyone done this job, it's the big plastic spider like one.
I have not had to do this, but I do know the one you are talking about.

I would remove the air filter box as if you were trying to get to the EGR valve as in this topic
diesel-c3-tips/citroen-c3-1-4-16v-hdi-e ... -t289.html

And take it from there to remove and replace. You may find singe use hose clips so you will need to cut these off and replace them with some stainless steel hose clamps (amazon) if they don't come with the hose.

This is a picture of the 8v engine out of the car and a good view of the hose that you wouldn't usually get to see.

Which may be helpful?

When refilling, you can follow these tips on this topic
citroen-c3-tips/citroen-c3-coolant-t40.html

And only refill the system with the correct OAT coolant (here).

If you manage to take any pictures of the job, they would be very welcome on the forum :)
My Name: mattdehat

Contributor
Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 40000
Trim Level: VTR+
DPF: Yes

this is a job to do on my c3 can anyone give me any ideas as time to do and any tips or tricks when i set to it please.(im awaiting parts)tia
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

mattdehat wrote:this is a job to do on my c3 can anyone give me any ideas as time to do and any tips or tricks when i set to it please.(im awaiting parts)tia
The Haynes manual for the C3 (amazon here) is a good read for these sorts of jobs if you need more than the image and posts above.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: DanniAgro

Top Contributor
Year: 2006 (56)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Trim Level: LX
Engine name: TU1 (60 PS)

Funny old world isn't it - I've just this morning replaced this double hose myself.
It's relatively easy to do the job, even if at first glance it seems impossibly complex and too difficult to get the new hose in.
Firstly, get the car up on ramps before you start, as you will have to work underneath in order to reach the lower end of the hose that's behind the water pump.
Next remove the engine air cleaner and its assembly. - it's quite difficult to weedle the lower half of the assembly over the engine but it can be done with persistence.
Then remove the fuel filter and the air intake hose that runs below it.
This should give you basic access to the hose assemblys path, with its passage below the gas cooler being the most difficult place to get it out of. In my case I pulled the hoses out of their clips whilst my brother, who was underneath the car, reached up and pulled the clip holder down very firmly in order to let the hoses pass the clips.
One warning - if you've never done it before, pulling out the engine drain plug unleashes a flood of coolant that splashes everywhere, including all over you if you're underneath (which is the only way of reaching the plug as far as I can see).
Presumably you've invested in the Haynes manual?

Top Contributor

Another thing - get some Jubilee clips to replace those bloody awful clips that Citroen put on hoses. They are the devils own business to get off in confined spaces, unless you've got the remote tool that garages use to put them on and off. There was much effing and jeffing when my brother tried to remove the lower ones behind the water pump, and it seemed to take up a large part of the time involved in changing the hoses!
My Name: mattdehat

Contributor
Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 40000
DPF: Yes

hi after buying this coolant hose for my c3 i have noticed that these parts did not come with my hose.can i just replace the ones in the old coolant hose.thanks
321.PNG
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

mattdehat wrote:hi after buying this coolant hose for my c3 i have noticed that these parts did not come with my hose.can i just replace the ones in the old coolant hose.thanks
yes, if they look ok, re-use them. Its the drain plug.

You should inspect the o-ring and change that if its worn, cracked, damaged or missing :o

Top Contributor

Interesting that your purchase of the multi hose didn't include the drain plug ( parts 4 to 6 in the diagram above) - the one I bought from GSF included them, which was very useful as the original o-ring had deteriorated badly, expanding so much that it was impossible to replace the plug once it had been removed.