Problem starts - intermitent

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Darth Mal

Citroen c3 sx hdi 92

So for the last couple of days only, my car has taken a few goes to get started. What happens is, I turn the key to get the dash boards lights/radio on and then when I turn it get the engine going, nothing happens. Do this a few times and then it starts.

But today I couldn't get it going at all. I left it for a few mins and then, hey presto it started. But Im not happy with the idea of taking it out now as its one thing not starting at home, another on the side of the road.

When I turned the engine off today and moved the key back to the 'first position' the battery light was on. I had a new battery fitted by the dealer in October, so it cant be that can it?

Anyone had any similar problems or ideas on what to do?

Thanks.
My Name: Darth Mal

Update

My old man has just popped around and he thinks its down to me mainly doing short drives (2 miles to work and back) and while the weather has been bad, not much else. Basically the alternator hasn't been able to fully charge the battery. that and the cold (cold engines start slower) may have conspired to cause the problem.

That sound about right to anyone?

We've just taken it for a quick spin - keeping it in a lower gear to charge the battery more.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

When I turned the engine off today and moved the key back to the 'first position' the battery light was on.
Its the charge warning light, and its supposed to come on with the 'ignition' on but the engine not running.

when I turn it get the engine going, nothing happens.
Nothing as in no noise, no engine turning over, nowt? Then it sounds like the starter switch, the one that the ignition key operates.

down to me mainly doing short drives
Short drives will drain the battery, but you get a slow turn over and no start. You may not even notice it is turning over more slowly, but you do get the usual noises.

Basically the alternator hasn't been able to fully charge the battery. that and the cold (cold engines start slower) may have conspired to cause the problem.
This comes back to your definition of 'nothing'. If you get no noise, then its not that you have discharged the battery because it wouldn't suddenly charge itself in an instant, or even 15 mins.

(cold engines start slower)
The HDI engine normally starts after only a few revolutions, no matter how cold. If not, then there may be problems with the engine.

We've just taken it for a quick spin - keeping it in a lower gear to charge the battery more.
A quick spin isn't going to put much charge into a flat battery. I don't think not changing up is going to make any difference to the charge rate, it just burn more fuel with nothing to gain.

I had a new battery fitted by the dealer in October
Well, a loose battery connection will give you problems, its an easy check to see if they are tight and doesn't require tools. Grab the battery connection and see if it moves, if it does, its loose.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)