Pre heater warning light when engine running

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Johnboy271

My mother has an 05 1.4 HDI C3 and for the last couple of days the orange pre heater warning light comes on when the engine is running . It doesn,t come on at all until the engine is started , in fact we didn,t even know it had this light until 3 days ago . Has anybody else had this problem and any ideas on the solution ?
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Welcome to the forum Johnboy271

The glow plugs on the Citroen C3 don't usually get used in 'pre heating' mode in UK because the weather is too moderate, this is the reason you have not seen the light before. The glow plugs are always used in 'post heating' mode, but this doesn't bring on the dashboard warning light.

In the UK, even winter, the glow plugs are not required to start the car, but, all year round are required after the engine has started to reduce emissions.

The Glow Plugs are controlled by the Engine ECU via the Pre Heat Relay.

Faulty glow plugs can damage the Pre Heat Relay and a Faulty Pre Heat Relay can damage the glow plugs.

I would suggest you have either a faulty glow plug(s), faulty relay or both. The last and unlikely (and unwanted) part is the Engine ECU at fault.

Nice one , thank you for the reply, i guessed it was something along those lines .
Will a diagnostic check tell me anything or is it a trial and error replacement procedure
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi Johnboy271

At a guess a diagnostics check will give you code P0380 (Pre heater circuit fault). Your problem will be; is it the relay or a glowplug or possibly both.

You can check the resistance of each glow plug without removing them from the engine (but you do need to disconnect the electrical connectors). You can also check the output of the relay to see power is going to the glow plugs.

The glow plugs are on the rear of the engine and you will need to remove the air filter box to get to them.

This post has information on how to remove the air filter on the 16v engine, the 8v will be more easy.
https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-c3-ti ... -t289.html

In the picture of the EGR valve in the car, you can see a glow plug above the 'n' of citroen, to the left of the EGR valve and below the 'clip'

Top man , thank you for taking the time to reply in such depth

Had diagnostic check done today and the fault code showing is P1351 . Any ideas ?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Thanks for the update,

P1351 on a diesel citroen C3 is a glow plug control fault, but you had guessed that already.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)