Picasso Oil spec for non DPF diesel engine

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: bangertrack

Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2009 (09)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 35000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hello all,
We have an diesel 09 C3 Picasso WITHOUT DPF. I have been using Ford formula F 5W/30 fully synthetic engine oil - changing at 7500miles ( I believe the Citroen change period is 15000miles). Citroen specify a 'low ash' oil - having done some research, their oil spec states sulphated ash level equal or lower than 0.7%. The Ford oil spec is 1.1%. The Ford oil is considerably cheaper thus making the considerably more frequent change period economic. Do you think I amd doing the right thing especially considering the vehicle not having a DPF. Could there be consequences for the cat or EGR? I guess Ford are running similar design cats etc?

The vehicle has done 21000 miles - we do approximately 15000 miles per year (the vehicle was 3 years old when we got it with 700miles on the clock).

Thanks in advance
Will
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Will, welcome to the forum.

The oil recommended by Citroen for their non DPF/FAP 1.6 HDi 16v engines is Total Quartz 9000 5W40 which costs around £28 for 5L. This gives you around the 12 500 mile oil change interval. Obviously changing more often for severe service like constant school runs or just for the peace of mind.
The Ford oil is considerably cheaper thus making the considerably more frequent change period economic.
I don't know what you currently pay for your Ford Oil 5W30 Formula F but it looks like £20 for 5 litres, but you feel you need more frequent changes.

Do you think I am doing the right thing especially considering the vehicle not having a DPF. Could there be consequences for the cat or EGR? I guess Ford are running similar design cats etc?
I would go for a more suitable oil, with less frequent changes. I see two benefits of this, firstly, less waste oil going into the recycling system and less down time due to servicing. I think you will be surprised how similar the EGR and Cats that are fitted to the Citroen and Fords of 2009.
My Name: bangertrack

Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2009 (09)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 35000
Trim Level: VTR+

Mr Guru,

Thanks for the information - I see the oil you have listed is not a low saps (its spec is ACEA A3/B4) so would be very similar to the oil I listed. Citroen recomend a 5 /30 oil for all c3 models now an probably low saps (keeps stocks of different oils lower).

My conclusion then being that the ford spec oil should be fine.

Halfords are selling a ford spec 5w/30 at £10 for 4 litres at the moment.

My thinking behind the shorter oil change period is having read articles (particularly Honest John as I remember) suggesting the diesel oil change periods are too long and their suspicion that they are a contributing factor to turbo and timing chain / tensioner failures.

Will