Oil filter change

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: Hans Zarkov

Top Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a way to change the oil filter on a C3 16v HDi without getting a complete mess all over the bottom of the engine / gearbox and then onto the drive, leaving a trail of black dots along the road, and having to clean up the mess before the missis see it?
I've changed the oil in this car 3 times now, & spilt black oil every time... grrr

John
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi John,

This is interesting. I have either made less mess than you or have just not been as observant about how much mess I did make.

My procedure for oil change is. Run engine till warm, drain oil into purpose made container, when that's done, I move on to the oil filter.

I have an oil and filter change due on a 16v HDi in a couple of hundred miles and will take extra notes on how much/if any I managed to spill and report back.
My Name: MATTHEW LOMAX

Experienced Member
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Trim Level: Rhythm
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

changed oil and filter on wifes car yesterday first time ive done it all i did was put a old towel underneath the housing and also i let the filter cap tilt down so i could cup it in my right hand so the nut was in my hand and the filter was facing me came out no spills. and as c3car said warm engine and drop oil first. also ive always opened the filler cap and pulled the dipstick out slightly.
My Name: Hans Zarkov

Top Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)

I think I have solved my problem with this... I will park the car the other way round (there is a slight slope on my drive) so that the filter will be pointing upwards .. Seems obvious now !

Thanks for your help :)

Slightly annoyed with myself.. John