No power

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: SonOfAnarchy ZA

Experienced Member

Hi guys

So I picked up a problem a while back and it has progressively gotten worse. When the car was cold it was fine but after a long trip the boost lag became ridiculous I used to have full boost at around 2300rpm now its after 3000rpm the car is difficult to drive like this and I need to rev the day lights out of it to get up to speed. Unfortunately the problem seems to be there hot or cold now. Last weekend I pulled the exhaust mani off so signs of leaking no cracks resealed it and put everything back, turbo is 30 000km old and still looks to be in good condition. Has anyone got any idea what the problem could be?

Citroen C3
1.4 8v HDi
140000km on the clock
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

SonOfAnarchy ZA wrote:I used to have full boost at around 2300rpm now its after 3000rpm
Do you have any error codes stored? Use an OBD2/Lexia reader (here) to get them.

Is the air-filter clean?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

Sorry for the late reply. No I don't have one of those but I sent the car to Citroen for diagnostics and they told me before they can do further diagnostics I need to replace the EGR. I have blanked the EGR off and the car feels a bit better but when it gets hot it looses power again. Any other ideas

Guru

SonOfAnarchy ZA wrote: Any other ideas
Get one of those cheap OBD code readers that are shown above. Its cheaper than one trip to the dealer and you can read the codes without being held hostage and having to buy an EGR.

Have you tried disconnecting the MAF? (Mass Air Flow sensor)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

if i disconnect the maf the car wont run will it?

Experienced Member

Is this the correct one? it will definitely be able to read my errors?

https://www.zasttra.com/products/autel-m ... ode-reader

Guru

SonOfAnarchy ZA wrote:if i disconnect the maf the car wont run will it?
The car will run. Default values will be used which are not ideal. The diagnosis goes like this:

1. Disconnect the MAF
2. If the performance improves, the MAF is faulty.
3. If the performance get worse or stays the same, the MAF is not causing the problem.

Guru

SonOfAnarchy ZA wrote:Is this the correct one? it will definitely be able to read my errors?

https://www.zasttra.com/products/autel-m ... ode-reader
The link says
**Complete Features:
1) Works with all 1996 and later OBD-II compliant US, European and Asian vehicles
2) Reads and clears generic and manufacturer specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and turns off check engine light
3) Supports multiple trouble code requests: generic codes, pending codes and manufacturer specific codes
4) Supports CAN (Controller Area Network) and all other current OBD-II protocols
5) Reviews the emission readiness status of OBD monitors
6) Determines the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) status
7) Retrieves VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on 2002 and newer vehicles that support Mode 9
8) Utilizes standard 16-pin OBD-II connector meaning no additional connectors or cables are necessary
9) Includes CD software with over 7000 DTC definitions
10) No batteries required: Unit is powered via detachable OBD-II cable
11) Retrieves vehicle information (VIN, CIN and CVN)
Since your is a post 2003 European Diesel model, I would expect it to work. It does work on the European models. I have never tried an Export model C3, but I don't see why Citroen would disable OBD2 just for an Export to South Africa.
MaxiScan MS300 OBD2 fault code reader
MaxiScan MS300 OBD2 fault code reader

Experienced Member

thanks for the advice. I disconnected the maf and the power returned so went yesterday and bought a new maf and the car is back to normal :mrgreen: thanks for the help!!

Experienced Member

Ok so I replaced the air flow meter and the car came alive again lasted for a month now the car is starting to loose power and progressively getting worse :| I'm not sure what to do why would this car be eating mafs? I did buy a generic one but find it hard to believe the after a month it will start behaving like the old 1 :( any ideas? Must I replace it with a genuine one? I'm worried I spend the extra money and then the car just eats that maf aswell. Not to sure what I should do :?: