No fuel pressure error code, please help

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: james13579

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 95000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Citroen c3 hdi (1.4 16v, DV4TED4). Unfortunately I just got an engine fault code that there is no fuel pressure.

I'm going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow. If this does not help, is it most likely the high-pressure fuel pump that needs replacing? Could someone explain how to diagnose this or should I just go ahead and replace it? I'd rather not have to do this as I understand it requires. taking off the timing belt.

Thanks

Forgot to mention: not just a faulty sensor as can't get the car started at all now

One last thing to add: The AA technician was able to get the engine started by manually feeding fuel in from a separate supply under pressure.
Also, I was told that the ECU was showing that the fuel pump was receiving power, although I don't really understand that as I thought it was purely mechanical on this car.
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Diesels are not my thing so hopefully some one with a bit more knowledge will come along.

First up, what did the AA guy say? Did he say the fuel pump was gone? If so...well...there's your problem.
Did he by-pass the fuel pump, or feed fuel into the pump? Did he pump fuel into the green connector? See pictures below.
Yes you have two options, a fuel pump problem or a fuel flow problem.
It's possible there is a blockage in the fuel system before the pump or a problem with the pump itself.
Again, not familiar with diesels but, yes mechanical pump only. To my knowledge, that's why there is a primer bulb. To get the fuel up to the pump when you have run out of fuel. The high pressure pump will not pump air.
If you can get fuel up to the pump using the bulb, then there is no blockage in the fuel lines. Then it would be your pump that's the problem. See pictures below. Disconnect the green connector and see if you can pump fuel into a container using the primer bulb.
Again, I don't know the specifics of the DV4 engine and the comments I have made are only of a general nature, sorry.
citroen-c3-engine-bay.JPG
20170806_134752.jpg
20170806_134752.jpg (84.21 KiB) Viewed 342 times
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Mileage: 140000

james13579 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:17 am
Forgot to mention: not just a faulty sensor as can't get the car started at all now

The car ECU can ONLY know the fuel pressure from the sensor reading, that is what the sensor is for.

If the sensor is faulty and, say, reading is ZERO pressure then the ECU can only see ZERO.

The ECU won't start an engine with zero fuel pressure because it knows that is not possible (off the map).

A common fault for the common rails is low fuel pressure will inhibit starting.

The cause of the common fault? Faulty injectors leaking off the pressure, so not even a fuel pump or sensor fault.

You can't diagnose a sensor by saying the car won't start.

If you really want to diagnose the engine, you need to find out how the common rail works and connect up lexia system (information page) and the actual lexia product link
My Name: james13579

Mileage: 95000

Many thanks for the advice on this.

I tried disconnecting the green fitting and squeezing the primer pump and little fuel came out but lots of air.

I then changed the fuel filter and tried the primer pump again. Suddently, I heard fuel leaking out of a hose near the back of the car (attached). I'm pretty surprised that the recovery technician wasn't able to find this when I broke down.
fuel leak.jpg
So I take it I just need to replace this hose now?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

james13579 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:48 pm Many thanks for the advice on this.

I tried disconnecting the green fitting and squeezing the primer pump and little fuel came out but lots of air.

I then changed the fuel filter and tried the primer pump again. Suddently, I heard fuel leaking out of a hose near the back of the car (attached). I'm pretty surprised that the recovery technician wasn't able to find this when I broke down.

fuel leak.jpg

So I take it I just need to replace this hose now?

Yes, change that hose.

When it's off, take a good look to see if you can work out why it failed.

how is it damaged?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

There should be a shield over those lines!!
They should not be exposed because of exactly what has happened!

Is that paint overspray on the fuel lines? The lines seem to have overspray on them but not the retaining clips and not the bottom of the car? Is it possible someone has replaced the fuel lines from another car because the lines have been damaged before? That's mind boggling!!!

I would say that removing the fuel filter caused pressure equalization in the lines and the fuel was able to run back down the line and out the hole. Prior to that it might have just dripped out.

If you get the fuel line from a breaker you can check out the underside and compare it to your car. See if anything is missing?

In the meantime you should be able to use tape to patch the hole. As noted, the fuel is "sucked" up the line, so the fuel is not under pressure.