metal casing at front of engine bay

Questions specifically about a Diesel powered C3 (usually engine or fuel related problems)
Please provide as much description including adding photos directly to the topic or videos you have uploaded via youtube as possible.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Gearbox questions
Diesel engine related problems
Think: Diesel engine, diesel fuel system, diesel injectors and glow plugs
My Name: ullmanio

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2010 (10)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 49000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes

Hi all, quick question.
I could hear a terrible rattling noise from the engine bay so decided to have a look this morning. Turns out that the metal casing at the front of the engine bay (see pic) was rattling as part of it had sheared off from the bolt near the back. So my question is, what is the metal casings correct name so I don't sound like a wally on the phone :-)

Cheers
Ryan
Attachments
Engine bay
Engine bay
Sheared off at back
Sheared off at back
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

ullmanio wrote:Hi all, quick question.
I could hear a terrible rattling noise from the engine bay so decided to have a look this morning. Turns out that the metal casing at the front of the engine bay (see pic) was rattling as part of it had sheared off from the bolt near the back. So my question is, what is the metal casings correct name so I don't sound like a wally on the phone :-)

Cheers
Ryan
Hi Ryan, its purpose is a to shield the heat from the turbo, so a good name would be a 'heat shield'.

I will try an dig up a part number and the citroen name for it.

citroen C3 heat shield for turbo and cat
citroen C3 heat shield for turbo and cat
The metal part I have highlighted, the one at the front of the engine covers up the front of the catalytic converter and citroen call it "EXHAUST SYSTEM HEAT SHIELD" with the part number 1723.Y4 - the number may differ for different engine configurations.
My Name: ullmanio

Year: 2010 (10)
Mileage: 49000

thanks for the reply. It is actually the metal casing that is attached behind where you have highlighted as it has sheered off from its bolt.
My Name: c3PicassoOwner

Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2009 (59)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Mileage: 64000
Trim Level: VTR+

I have had to buy two replacement heat shields is there a common problem why these snap off frequently.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2017-02-04-18h16m58s690_LI.jpg
My Name: dougine

Contributor
Year: 2013 (13)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 38000
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

Hi - I was just thinking - if this is the second time the piece was broken, perhaps there is something weighty (motor?) pulling where it should not be pulling ... But as I am no mechanic I do not know about the anatomy of the car. I just thought, if some weighty piece inside was not fixed correctly, could be the weight was pulling and breaking the shown piece ...
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

dougine wrote:Hi - I was just thinking - if this is the second time the piece was broken, perhaps there is something weighty (motor?) pulling where it should not be pulling ... But as I am no mechanic I do not know about the anatomy of the car. I just thought, if some weighty piece inside was not fixed correctly, could be the weight was pulling and breaking the shown piece ...
That makes sense to me. The part that breaks may not be at fault, but some other part acting on it is causing the failure.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)